Find vectors that produce certain orthogonal projection

In summary, to calculate the vector w produced by an orthogonal projection of vector v over the plane spanned by vectors u1 and u2 in a three dimensional space, you can use the formula w = <v,u1>/<u1,u1> * u1 + <v,u2>/<u2,u2> * u2.
fmilano
I have vector [ tex ] v [ /tex ] produced by an orthogonal projection of vector [ tex ] w [ /tex ] over plane spanned by vectors [ tex ] u_1 [ /tex ] and [ tex ] u_2 [ /tex ], in a three dimensional space. If I know [ tex ] v [ /tex ], [ tex ] u_1 [ /tex ] and [ tex ] u_2 [ /tex ], how could I calculate [ tex ] w [ /tex ]?

Thanks in advance,

Federico

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you want to calculate the orthogonal projection on the space spanned by u1 and u2.

There is a formula for that:

[tex]w=\frac{<v,u_1>}{<u_1,u_1>}u_1+\frac{<v,u_2>}{<u_2,u_2>}u_2[/tex]

To write in LaTeX, you don't need to write the space in [ tex ] and [ /itex ]

Related to Find vectors that produce certain orthogonal projection

1. What is an orthogonal projection?

An orthogonal projection is a type of projection that preserves the relative distances and angles between vectors in a vector space. It is often used in mathematics and physics to simplify calculations and solve problems.

2. How can I find vectors that produce a certain orthogonal projection?

To find vectors that produce a certain orthogonal projection, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process or the method of orthogonal complements. Both of these methods involve manipulating and transforming existing vectors to create new ones that satisfy the conditions for an orthogonal projection.

3. What are the applications of finding vectors for orthogonal projections?

Finding vectors for orthogonal projections has many applications in math and science, including solving systems of linear equations, minimizing errors in data analysis, and finding the shortest distance between a point and a line or plane.

4. What are some properties of vectors that produce orthogonal projections?

Vectors that produce orthogonal projections have the following properties: they are perpendicular to the projection plane, they lie in the projection plane, and they are orthogonal to each other.

5. Are there any real-world examples of orthogonal projections?

Yes, orthogonal projections are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as creating 3D models in computer graphics, designing buildings and structures, and analyzing data in fields like economics and engineering.