Find Value of K for Continuity of f(x) at x=1

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the value of k that will make the function f(x) continuous at x=1 is k=2. This can be shown by finding the limits of both functions as x approaches 1 and setting them equal to each other. In this case, the limit of the first function, 4-x^2, is equal to k+1, which can be simplified to k=2. This method is also known as an epsilon-delta proof of continuity.
UrbanXrisis
let f be a function defined by f(x)=4-x^2 when x=<1 and k+x when x>1
What value of k will f be continuous at x=1?

I know the answer is k=2, however, I don't know how to show to correct work. I got 2 when I sketched a graph of 4-x^2 and plugged in some numbers but I don't know how to show it algebraically/using an actual method.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with epsilon-delta proofs of continuity?

To be continous, the limit has to exist (in this case, you have two functions on either side of 1 - they should both have the same limit as they approach 1) and f(x) has to equal the limit.

Find the limit of the first function as x approaches 1 from the left.

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} 4-x^2
[/tex]

The limit of the function, f(x)=k+1, as x approaches 1 from the right must equal the limit of the first function.

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} k+1 = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} 4-x^2
[/tex]

Substitute the value for k that makes this true.

In other words,

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} k+1 = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} k+\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+}1
[/tex]
k and 1 are both constants, so the limit of k = k and the limit of 1 = 1.
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} k+\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+}1 = k+1 = 3
[/tex]

so, subtracting 1 from both sides, k=2

Last edited:

Related to Find Value of K for Continuity of f(x) at x=1

What is the definition of continuity?

Continuity is a property of a mathematical function where the function is defined and has a value at a given point, and the value of the function at that point is equal to the limit of the function as it approaches that point.

How do you determine if a function is continuous at a point?

A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function as it approaches that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that the function has no sudden jumps or breaks at that point.

What is the role of the value of k in determining the continuity of a function at x=1?

The value of k represents the slope of the line tangent to the function at x=1. If the slope of the tangent line is equal to the value of k, then the function is continuous at x=1.

How do you find the value of k for continuity of a function at x=1?

The value of k can be found by evaluating the limit of the function as it approaches x=1. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at x=1, then k is the value of the limit.

What happens if the value of k does not exist at x=1?

If the value of k does not exist at x=1, then the function is not continuous at that point. This means that there is a sudden jump or break in the function at x=1.