Mysterious Black Dogs: Unexpected Encounters and Urban Myths

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of black dogs and their supposed connection to death. The speaker shares their own experience of being chased by a black dog while running at night and speculates that it may have been due to a nearby dog being in heat. They also mention their mother's stories of people seeing black dogs before their death. They question if there are any myths or sources related to this phenomenon and assure that they are not on drugs or crazy. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about black dogs being a phobia similar to spiders.
HazZy
my mom is a nurse and has personally witnessed many people claiming to have seen a black dog sitting by the door of their room, all of them died soon after. I'm not really sure if this is a popular myth or not, but it seems i have seen a black dog in a rather unexpected situation as well (i obviously haven't died yet ). i used to run every night (2-3 am) around a church/school and i believe i know the area well enough to know what kind of animals are around. so I am running and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I'm being chased by a big black dog, unleashed, that I've never seen before. ok so this is a rotweiler i believe, and I'm thinking I am going to have to break some doggy bones (im running up hill and I am very tired), but i look back and don't see it. it's not like i ran a block away from it either, just about 20-30 feet. also i could not see all the way down the block, it's poorly lighted, so the dog may have simply given up. (probably not important, but the damn dog never even barked. i just heard something chasing me, looked back and seen this dog gaining on me.)

now to make at least a little sense of the situation, i know there is a dog that lives near the house at which i was chased. this is a medium sized spotted dog, and it's always chained up in front of the house (i never saw it out there at night though). i don't know whether this dog is female or male, but maybe it is a female that was in heat that night and maybe the black dog was just lookin for some action. so this is how i made logical sense of what happened, but then i remember my mom and the black dog stories.

so I am just wondering if anyone has ever read about any myths dealing with black dogs or basically anything similar and can give me some sources. if not i'll be happy to label this as coincidence. and no, i don't do drugs and I am not crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely a hell hound in heat :) seriously I think black dogs are one of these phobia type things like spiders that maybe have there roots in prehistoric times. By mistake I recently terrified a newphew with a big black dog story lol.

Wow, that is certainly a strange and intriguing experience you had with the black dog while running. It's understandable that it would make you think about the stories your mom has shared with you about people seeing black dogs before their deaths. While I am not aware of any specific urban myths about black dogs, there are certainly many cultural and supernatural beliefs surrounding them.

In many cultures, black dogs are seen as symbols of death, the underworld, or the devil. In English folklore, the black dog is often associated with witchcraft and is said to be a harbinger of doom. In some Native American cultures, black dogs are seen as guardians of the spirit world. There are also stories of black dogs being reincarnations of deceased loved ones or protectors of travelers.

It's possible that your experience with the black dog was just a coincidence, as you mentioned. It could also be a result of your subconscious mind being influenced by the stories your mom has shared with you. However, it's also possible that there is some truth to the belief that black dogs can signify death or other supernatural occurrences.

In any case, it's always important to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities when it comes to mysterious or unexplained experiences. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you continue to have safe and uneventful runs in the future.

1. What are mysterious black dogs?

Mysterious black dogs are a type of supernatural creature often described as large, black dogs with glowing eyes and supernatural abilities. They are found in various mythologies and folklore around the world.

2. Where are these mysterious black dogs typically encountered?

These dogs are often encountered in rural areas, near forests, graveyards, and crossroads. However, there have also been reported sightings in urban areas, leading to urban myths and legends surrounding these creatures.

3. Are mysterious black dogs considered dangerous?

There is no evidence to suggest that these dogs are inherently dangerous. However, they are often associated with bad omens and are said to be guardians of the supernatural world. As such, it is best to avoid interacting with them if encountered.

4. What are some common urban myths surrounding these dogs?

One common urban myth is that these dogs are actually shapeshifters or demons in disguise. Another is that they are the spirits of deceased dogs who come back to protect their owners. These myths are often perpetuated through word of mouth and have no scientific evidence to support them.

5. What could explain unexpected encounters with mysterious black dogs?

There are a few possible explanations for unexpected encounters with these dogs. They could be large, wild dogs that have been mistaken for supernatural creatures. They could also be a result of mass hysteria or hallucinations. It is also possible that some sightings are hoaxes or misinterpretations of natural phenomena.