Find Upper Bound for abs(f(4)(x)) of f(x)=sin(sin(x))

In summary: Thanks for the clarification! I means the fourth derivative of fUnless I made a silly mistake typing things in, it appears that Wolfram Alpha thinks it should be around 3.76.Ok, so y= -sin(x)?y= -sin(x)
ZuzooVn
help me, please

if f(X) = sin(sin(x)), use a graph to find a upper bound for abs(f(4)(x))

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ZuzooVn! Welcome to PF! :smile:
ZuzooVn said:

ok … draw y = sin(x).

Now turn the paper sideways and draw x = sin(y) …

what do you get? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ZuzooVn! Welcome to PF! :smile:

ok … draw y = sin(x).

Now turn the paper sideways and draw x = sin(y) …

what do you get? :wink:

Would u please tell me more detail about your solution?

ZuzooVn said:
Would u please tell me more detail about your solution?

Nope! o:)

Just do it! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Nope! o:)

Just do it! :smile:

Please

Because, i didn't know how to find the upper bound

tiny-tim has suggested a first step. Have you done it yet?

HallsofIvy said:
tiny-tim has suggested a first step. Have you done it yet?

yes, i have done it .

But because I'm a Vietnamese, so my English skill isn't good :D

Excellent! Thank you.

Now, tiny-tim, what in the world are you talking about? I'm afraid I dont' see your point either.

I would probably use "brute strength"

If y= sin(sin(x)), then y'= -cos(sin(x))(-cos(x))= cos(x)cos(cos(x)). Now, instead of actually doing the other derivatives (because they get really messy!), use the fact that the nth derivative of (f(x)g(x)) will be [itex]\sum _nC_i f^{i}g^{n-i}[/itex] to see that we will, after three more derivatives, have a sum of 4 terms with binomial coeficients times sin and cos- and the largest possible value for sine or cosine is 1.

Unless I made a silly mistake typing things in, it appears that Wolfram Alpha thinks it should be around 3.76.

ZuzooVn said:
help me, please

Thanks

You need to define what f(4)(x) means. Do you mean, the fourth iteration of f on x, i.e. f o f o f o f (x)? Or do you mean (as others have interpreted) the fourth derivative of f?

mXSCNT said:
You need to define what f(4)(x) means. Do you mean, the fourth iteration of f on x, i.e. f o f o f o f (x)? Or do you mean (as others have interpreted) the fourth derivative of f?

I means the fourth derivative of f

AUMathTutor said:
Unless I made a silly mistake typing things in, it appears that Wolfram Alpha thinks it should be around 3.76.
Do you mean least upper bound? I get 8 as an upper bound.

Related to Find Upper Bound for abs(f(4)(x)) of f(x)=sin(sin(x))

What is the function f(x)=sin(sin(x))?

The function f(x)=sin(sin(x)) is a trigonometric function that takes the sine of the sine of x. It is a periodic function with a period of 2π and its range is between -1 and 1.

How do you find the fourth derivative of f(x)=sin(sin(x))?

To find the fourth derivative of f(x)=sin(sin(x)), you will need to use the chain rule multiple times. The fourth derivative will be a combination of sine and cosine functions.

What is an upper bound?

An upper bound is the smallest possible number that is greater than or equal to a given set of numbers. In other words, it is the maximum value that a function or set of numbers can reach.

How do you find the upper bound for abs(f(4)(x)) of f(x)=sin(sin(x))?

To find the upper bound for abs(f(4)(x)) of f(x)=sin(sin(x)), you will need to find the maximum value of the fourth derivative of the function. This can be done by taking the derivative and setting it equal to 0 to find the critical points, and then plugging those points into the fourth derivative to find the maximum value.

What is the significance of finding the upper bound for abs(f(4)(x)) of f(x)=sin(sin(x))?

Finding the upper bound for abs(f(4)(x)) of f(x)=sin(sin(x)) allows us to determine the maximum rate of change of the function. This information can be useful in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its values.