Rindler - Mass of Charged Capacitor

Your Name]In summary, Pete shared an article on the mass of a charged capacitor and highlighted its significance in disproving the misconception that mass only refers to rest or invariant mass. The article also demonstrates the use of the stress-energy-momentum tensor in calculating the mass of complex objects and its relevance in both general relativity and electrostatic energy. Pete highly recommends reading the article and I look forward to exploring more of his contributions in the future.
pmb
I've placed an article online which is on the mass of a charged capacitor.

"A simple relativistic paradox about electrostatic energy,' Rindler and Denur, Am. J. Phys., Vol. 56 (9), Sept 1987

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/rindler-87.gif

I mention it for a few reasons:
(1) There is a myth going around that whenever anyone uses the term "mass" unqualified then it means "rest mass"/"invariant mass." This article is an excellant counter example and demonstrates how wrong that claim is.

More examples are at
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/relativistic_mass.htm

(2)It demonstrates with an interesting example that the mass of a complex object must be calculated using the stress-energy-momentum tensor.

(3)I highly recommend reading it. It's also a pretty cool article. :-)

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Pete,

Thank you for sharing this article on the mass of a charged capacitor. I find it fascinating to explore the different concepts and paradoxes in physics. I completely agree with your first point about the misconception of using the term "mass" to only refer to rest mass or invariant mass. In reality, mass is a much more complex concept that takes into account various factors such as energy, momentum, and stress.

The article you have shared is indeed a great demonstration of how the mass of a complex object, such as a charged capacitor, cannot be determined solely by its rest mass. The stress-energy-momentum tensor is a crucial tool in calculating the mass of such objects, and it is important for us to keep this in mind when studying these systems.

I am also intrigued by your second point about the article showcasing the need to use the stress-energy-momentum tensor. This tensor plays a vital role in the theory of general relativity and helps us understand the gravitational effects of massive objects. The fact that it is also applicable in the study of electrostatic energy is a testament to its importance in physics.

Thank you for recommending this article, I will definitely give it a read. It's always exciting to come across new and interesting research in the field of physics. I appreciate your contribution to the forum and look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Thank you for sharing this article on the mass of a charged capacitor by Rindler and Denur. It is indeed a fascinating paradox that challenges our understanding of mass in the context of electrostatic energy. I completely agree with your points about the misconception surrounding the use of the term "mass" and how this article serves as a counter example.

The fact that the mass of a complex object, such as a charged capacitor, must be calculated using the stress-energy-momentum tensor highlights the importance of considering all forms of energy in the calculation of mass. This is a crucial concept in relativity and helps us understand the relationship between energy and mass.

I will definitely take the time to read this article and explore more examples of relativistic mass on your website. Thank you for sharing this resource and for highlighting the importance of understanding mass in a relativistic context. It is a great reminder that science is constantly challenging our understanding and pushing us to think critically.

1. What is Rindler's equation for the mass of a charged capacitor?

The equation is M = Q^2/2C, where M is the mass, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance.

2. How does the mass of a charged capacitor compare to an uncharged capacitor?

The mass of a charged capacitor is greater than that of an uncharged capacitor due to the energy stored in the electric field between the plates.

3. Can the mass of a charged capacitor change?

Yes, the mass of a charged capacitor can change if the charge or capacitance changes. This is due to the direct relationship between mass and charge in the equation.

4. How does the mass of a charged capacitor relate to the speed of light?

The mass of a charged capacitor is directly related to the energy stored in the electric field, which is related to the speed of light through Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

5. Is Rindler's equation applicable to all types of capacitors?

Yes, Rindler's equation is a general equation for the mass of a charged capacitor and is applicable to all types of capacitors, regardless of their shape or composition.