Find Transcendental Equation for Triple Delta Potential Energy

In summary, the correct wave function for the bound energy of a triple delta potential is as follows: A e^{\kappa x} for x < -a, B e^{\kappa x} + C e^{-\kappa x} for -a < x < 0, D e^{\kappa x} + E e^{-\kappa x} for 0< x < a, and F e^{-\kappa x} for x > a.
mtjs

Homework Statement

I'm looking for the bound energy of a triple delta potential:

[tex]V(x) = -w \left [ \delta(x-a) + \delta(x) + \delta(x+a) \right ][/tex]

What is the correct transcendental equation for kappa?

Homework Equations

My wave function is [tex]\psi_1(x) = A e^{\kappa x}[/tex] for x < -a, [tex]\psi_2(x) = B \cosh(\kappa(x+a/2)[/tex] for -a < x < 0, [tex]\psi_3(x) = C \cosh(\kappa(x-a/2))[/tex] for 0< x < a, [tex]\psi_4(x) = D e^{-\kappa x}[/tex] forx > a.

We use this continuity formula [tex]\psi'( z+\epsilon) - \psi'(z-\epsilon) = -\frac{2mw}{\hbar^2} \psi(z)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating the continuity formula at x = 0 gives [tex]\kappa \tanh(\frac{\kappa a}{2}) = \frac{m w}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

This means, you get the same bound energy as for one delta potential if a is very large, and something weird for small a?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Very large a just mean your particle is in the middle and the other parts are not important.

Shouldn't there be a second equation from the second potential? And I think your approach for the inner wavefunctions is not general enough to find all solutions.

Is my equation for x = 0 correct? For x = a or x = -a, you get the same transcendental equation as for the double-delta potential?

[tex]1 + \tanh(\frac{\kappa a}{2}) =\frac{2 m w}{\hbar^2 \kappa}[/tex]

Last edited:
mtjs said:
Is my equation for x = 0 correct?
For your chosen wavefunctions, it looks fine.

For x = a or x = -a, you get the same transcendental equation as for the double-delta potential?

[tex]1 + \tanh(\frac{\kappa a}{2}) =\frac{2 m w}{\hbar^2 kappa}[/tex]
Up to factors of two maybe, but you have to check your ansatz for the wavefunctions.

So after all, you get two different bound energy values. One for the delta at x = 0 and one for two deltas at x = -a and x = a.

Last edited:
That just shows your wavefunction is not general enough. The bound energy states have to satisfy both equations at the same time.

Likes 1 person
Now I see where I did wrong.

The correct wave function is:
[tex]\psi_1(x) = A e^{\kappa x}[/tex]
for x < -a,

[tex]\psi_2(x) = B e^{\kappa x} + C e^{-\kappa x}[/tex]
for -a < x < 0,

[tex]\psi_3(x) = D e^{\kappa x} + E e^{-\kappa x}[/tex]

for 0< x < a,

[tex]\psi_4(x) = F e^{-\kappa x}[/tex]
for x > a.

That is better, right.

I would use ##\psi_1(x) = A e^{\kappa (x+a)}## and similar expressions to make the coefficients easier to evaluate, but that is a detail.

Related to Find Transcendental Equation for Triple Delta Potential Energy

1. What is a transcendental equation?

A transcendental equation is an equation that contains at least one transcendental function, such as trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions. These equations cannot be solved algebraically and require numerical or graphical methods to find a solution.

2. What is the significance of finding a transcendental equation for triple delta potential energy?

Finding a transcendental equation for triple delta potential energy allows us to model the behavior of a system with three potential wells, such as a molecule with three atoms. This helps us understand the energy states and behavior of the system, which is crucial in many scientific fields, including chemistry and physics.

3. How do you derive a transcendental equation for triple delta potential energy?

To derive a transcendental equation for triple delta potential energy, we use the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. By solving this equation for a system with three potential wells, we can obtain a transcendental equation that relates the energy of the system to its wave function.

4. What are some applications of the triple delta potential energy equation?

The triple delta potential energy equation has many applications in physics and chemistry, such as in the study of molecular vibrations and electronic states. It is also used in the field of nanotechnology to understand the behavior of quantum dots and other nanoscale structures.

5. Can the transcendental equation for triple delta potential energy be solved analytically?

No, the transcendental equation for triple delta potential energy cannot be solved analytically. It requires numerical or graphical methods to find a solution. However, for specific cases, such as when the potential wells are identical, an approximate analytical solution can be obtained.