Find time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a small ball attached to a massless rod that can swing freely in a vertical plane. The goal is to find the time it takes for the system to rotate from a horizontal to vertical position. The equations used include tangential acceleration, angular acceleration, and integration to relate angular velocity and angle. However, the solution involves a complex integral that may not have a closed form solution.
vikvaryas

Homework Statement

A small ball is attached to a massless rod at one end. The other end is hinged such that the rod can swing freely in the vertical plane.
Find the time taken by this system to rotate from horizontal position to vertical position.
Length of rod = L
Acceleration due to gravity = g
mass of ball = m
All surfaces are frictionless.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tangential acceleration of ball is gcosθ where θ is angle the rod makes with horizontal
Tangential acceleration is equal to Lα where α is rate of change of angular speed
So i have Lα=gcosθ
I am unable to proceed further. what do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly write the expression for angular acceleration and then try to find angular velocity by integration.

Sunil Simha said:
Firstly write the expression for angular acceleration and then try to find angular velocity by integration.

I have obtained a differential equation d2θ/dt2 = (g/L)cosθ
How do i solve this?

vikvaryas said:
I have obtained a differential equation d2θ/dt2 = (g/L)cosθ
How do i solve this?

Write it as dω/dt. But dω/dt can also be written as (dω/dθ)*(dθ/dt) or ω*dω/dθ. So now integrate and you'll obtain ω in terms of θ.

Once you get that, ω can be written as dθ/dt and if you integrate the expression relating ω and θ, you can relate θ and t.

Sunil Simha said:
Write it as dω/dt. But dω/dt can also be written as (dω/dθ)*(dθ/dt) or ω*dω/dθ. So now integrate and you'll obtain ω in terms of θ.

Once you get that, ω can be written as dθ/dt and if you integrate the expression relating ω and θ, you can relate θ and t.
Easily said, but you end up with a very nasty integral. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics)#Arbitrary-amplitude_period . One might hope that there is a closed form solution for the specific case of a 90 degree amplitude, but I'm not aware of such.

Related to Find time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90degrees

1. What factors affect the time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees?

The time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors can be calculated using the equation: T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time taken for one full swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Does the amplitude of the swing affect the time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees?

No, the amplitude of the swing does not affect the time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees. The time period of a pendulum is only dependent on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How can the time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees be measured accurately?

The time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees can be measured accurately using a stopwatch or timer. Start the timer when the pendulum is released and stop it when it completes one full swing (90 degrees). Repeat this process multiple times and calculate the average time for more accurate results.

4. Can the time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees. However, for most experiments, the effect of air resistance is negligible. To minimize the effect of air resistance, the pendulum should be released from the same point and the amplitude of the swing should be kept small.

5. How does the time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees change with different lengths of the pendulum?

The time taken by a pendulum to swing by 90 degrees is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the time taken for one full swing also increases. This relationship can be seen in the equation: T = 2π√(L/g). Therefore, a longer pendulum will have a longer time period compared to a shorter pendulum.