Find time from distance-speed graph

• Thread starter Metaphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Time
In summary, the speed changes linearly in each section, so you can use the average speed to find time.
Metaphysics
Playrate envelope.png

In audio application i can automate playrate envelope (playhead speed)
1 = original speed, 2 = 2 x original speed, 3 = 3 x original speed etc..

Now i need to calculate time it takes for playhead to travel each section

its easy to calculate time for section 1, where speed is constant
time = section 1 len/speed = 1/1 = 1 sec

but i don't know how to find time for section 2, section 3

can you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Metaphysics said:
but i don't know how to find time for section 2, section 3
I don't really know what you're calculating. Nonetheless, it looks like the speed changes linearly in those sections, so you should be able to use the average speed.

I think my previous response was a bit glib, seeing as the horizontal axis is distance and not time. But for each section, you can write the speed as a linear function of distance, then rearrange and integrate.

I would follow a different approach from @Doc Al. Start with the standard transformation for the acceleration.
$$a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}$$In sections 2 and 3 ##\dfrac{dv}{dx}=\text{const.}=\alpha##. You can easily get the slope ##\alpha## in each section from the graph. Then $$\frac{dv}{dt}=\alpha ~v.$$Can you solve this simple differential equation to find ##v(t)##? If so, then do it, but don't forget the initial condition at the beginning of each section. Then invert the equation to find ##t## as a function of ##v## and you're done. If you cannot solve the differential equation, we are here to help.

Good stuff @kuruman.

I'll outline the approach I mentioned above (which was just the first that occurred to me). Start by expressing the velocity as a function of distance, which should be trivial since it's a straight line. For example, using the standard form for a straight line:
$$ v(x) = mx + b$$
That gives you the following simple differential equation, which you can solve:
$$v = \frac{dx}{dt} = mx + b$$

Either way, it's all good. (For fun, solve it both ways and compare.)

Likes kuruman

What is a distance-speed graph?

A distance-speed graph is a visual representation of the relationship between distance and speed. It shows how distance changes over time as speed remains constant.

How can I find time from a distance-speed graph?

To find time from a distance-speed graph, you can use the formula time = distance/speed. Simply divide the distance by the speed at any given point on the graph to calculate the time it takes to travel that distance.

What if the speed is not constant on the graph?

If the speed is not constant on the graph, you can still find time by dividing the total distance traveled by the average speed. To calculate average speed, divide the total distance by the total time.

Can I use a distance-speed graph to find the speed at a specific time?

Yes, you can use a distance-speed graph to find the speed at a specific time by finding the slope of the line at that point. The slope represents the rate of change, or speed, at that particular time.

Are there any limitations to using a distance-speed graph to find time?

One limitation of using a distance-speed graph to find time is that it assumes a constant speed. In real-world scenarios, speed may vary and this method may not accurately reflect the actual time taken to travel a certain distance.