Compatibility of Orion Solar Filter for Celestron 60 AZ Model

In summary, Warren is considering purchasing a Solar Filter for his telescope and wants to know if it will work on his Celestron 60 AZ Model. Although Orion's guide says it will only fit their own Observer 60 Altaz & EQ model, Warren has been told by a friend that it should fit. He plans to call Orion to confirm the compatibility and may measure the filter and his telescope's objective to be sure.
Dagenais
I want to get this solar filter for my telescope. It's the Solar Filter for Observer 60 Altaz & EQ model. It was made for the Observer, but I was wondering if it would work on my Celestron 60 AZ Model (refractor)?

The guide at the bottom says what model it fits, and obviously, only Orions are listed. So I just wanted to double-check as I don't want to order the filter and have it shipped to me, then find out it doesn't fit.

I've been told it should fit perfectly though.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If Orion told you it will fit, then it will fit.

- Warren

Sorry, I meant that the guide said it would fit Orion's 60mm AZ model. It says nothing about the Celestron models.

I figured since both Apertures were 60mm that it would work. A friend also says it'll work, but I wanted to double-check.

Last edited:
It'll probably work. If you're not entirely sure, call Orion and ask. If they don't know, ask them for the measurements of the filter, and measure your own telescope's objective to make sure.

- Warren

1. Can I use the Orion Solar Filter on my Celestron 60 AZ model?

Yes, the Orion Solar Filter is compatible with the Celestron 60 AZ model. It is designed to fit this specific telescope and will not cause any damage or harm when used correctly.

2. Is the Orion Solar Filter easy to install on the Celestron 60 AZ model?

Yes, the Orion Solar Filter is designed to be easy to install on the Celestron 60 AZ model. It comes with clear instructions and can be easily attached without any special tools or equipment.

3. Will the Orion Solar Filter affect the image quality on my Celestron 60 AZ model?

No, the Orion Solar Filter is designed to enhance the image quality on your Celestron 60 AZ model when viewing the sun. It reduces glare and provides a sharper, more detailed image of the sun's surface.

4. Can I use the Orion Solar Filter for both visual and photographic purposes on my Celestron 60 AZ model?

Yes, the Orion Solar Filter can be used for both visual and photographic purposes on the Celestron 60 AZ model. It is safe to use for both types of viewing and will not damage your telescope or camera.

5. Is the Orion Solar Filter safe to use on my Celestron 60 AZ model?

Yes, the Orion Solar Filter is designed with safety in mind. It is made with high-quality materials and is ISO certified for safe solar viewing. However, it is important to always follow the instructions and never look directly at the sun without proper protection.