Find the Volts/Div Scale: A Quick Guide

• Thread starter EEKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, the conversation is about determining the volts/div scale being used for a sinusoidal waveform with a peak-to-peak voltage of 6 divisions and a voltmeter reading of 2.12v. The participants discuss the RMS voltage, effective voltage, and the range and divisions on the voltmeter scale. They also clarify the difference between a voltmeter and an oscilloscope.
EEKid
Hey guys

If the output of the function generator for a sinusoidal waveform is 6 voltage divisons peak to peak along the voltage axis- and the voltmeter reads 2.12v, find the volts/div scale that is being used?

for this do just divide the volt given by the division given?, please help,(pretty new)

thanks a lot

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone, really need with this by today?

sorry and thanks again

The voltmeter will measure RMS voltage for a.c.

how do use the voltage to find the scale? sorry really new

Well the peak voltage is 3 volts. Correct? Now what is the effective voltage (root-mean-square, RMS)?

2.12, .707(3), which is the value from the voltmeter

Okay. I'm not sure what you're are really asking. A volt is a volt. On your scope you are seeing 6 volts p-p (1volt per division) on your rms meter you are seeing 2.12 volts (what scale on your meter are you using here?)

Last edited:
How did u know that it is 1 volt per divison, thanks, i think that is what i wanted

Last edited:
By scale, I mean what range your voltmeter was set. If for example, it was set on a 6 volts range and there were 6 division marks, then one division would be 1 volt. If there were 12 division marks, then one division would be 0.5 volt. Now your meter might be good enough to have a division mark for every 0.1 volt, the volt/div would be 0.1. i.e. for your meter, take the full range voltage and divide by the number of divisions on the scale. I guess that is what you were thinking in the first place. Sorry.

Regards

Do you mean volt meter or oscilloscope?

Related to Find the Volts/Div Scale: A Quick Guide

1. What is the purpose of the "Find the Volts/Div Scale" guide?

The purpose of the guide is to help users accurately determine the voltage per division scale on an oscilloscope. This is an important step in using an oscilloscope to measure electrical signals.

2. How do I use the guide to find the Volts/Div scale?

To use the guide, you will need to follow the step-by-step instructions provided. This usually involves adjusting the oscilloscope settings and using the gridlines on the display to make the necessary calculations.

3. Why is it important to find the Volts/Div scale?

Finding the Volts/Div scale is important because it allows you to accurately measure the amplitude of an electrical signal. This is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing circuits or troubleshooting electronic devices.

4. Can I use the guide on any type of oscilloscope?

Yes, the guide can be used on most types of oscilloscopes. However, the specific steps may vary slightly depending on the make and model of the oscilloscope. It is important to consult the user manual for your specific oscilloscope for the most accurate instructions.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the Volts/Div scale?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the Volts/Div scale, such as using the oscilloscope's automatic scale feature or using a multimeter. However, the "Find the Volts/Div Scale" guide is a simple and reliable method that can be used in most situations.