Find the voltage Vm (mesh / nodal analysis)

In summary: Ia is -0.1875 amps. The current through the 3 ohm resistor is 0.9375 amps.I was going to try that too, but I didn't know how to set up the equations. How did you get the other 2 equations?1 V1 - V2 = 242 V1 = 32Ia + 3Ia3 V1 = 32Ia, V2 = 3Ia.Kirchoff's current law at the junction V1 is(V1 - 24)/32 + (V1 - V2)/3 = 0.Kirchoff's current law at the junction V2 is(V2
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5039/homeworkprobsg27.jpg

Find the value of the voltage Vm

Homework Equations

V = IR,
KVL,
KCL,
mesh equations,
nodal equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imageshack.us/a/img507/5556/homeworkprobsg27edit.jpg

Doing it this way, and doing mesh, I came up with:

I1 + 5ia = ia;

I1 = -4ia

then for the left loop:

24V - 32Ω*I1 - Vx = 0

Vx = 24V - 32Ω*I1

then for the right loop:

Vx - 3Ω*5ia - Vm = 0

Vx = - 3Ω*5ia - Vm

So my equations are:

1.) I1 = -4ia
2.) Vx = 24V - 32Ω*I1
3.) Vx = - 3Ω*5ia - Vm

combining the last two above:

- 3Ω*5ia - Vm = 24V - 32Ω*I1

- 3Ω*5ia - Vm = 24V - 32Ω*(-4ia)

Then

24 V + 32Ω*(4ia) + 3Ω*(5ia) = Vm

24V + 128Ωia + 15Ωia = Vm

then

24V + 143Ωia = Vm but not sure what to do now, or if I approached this the wrong way.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:

This isn't going to work because the current Ia is passing downward through a wire, which has a resistance of zero ohms. There can't be any voltage across this wire; Vx is zero in other words.

Superposition seems like the appropriate method here.

The 24 volt source causes 3/4 amp downward through the wire. The 3 ohm resistor has no effect on the current the dependent current source delivers to Ia.

So, we have Ia = the sum of 3/4 amp plus whatever the dependent source delivers. Can you write an expression for that? Then you can solve for Ia.

Once you have Ia, you also have 5*Ia, which is the current through the 3 ohm resistor. Since the left end of the 3 ohm resistor is grounded, the voltage across the dependent current source will be the same as the voltage across the 3 ohm resistor. Just be sure you get the sign of the voltage across the dependent source right.

Color_of_Cyan said:
2.) Vx = 24V - 32Ω*I1
That branch shown carrying ia is just a wire, it's not a current source.

So far as I understand the superposition method, it goes finding each current though (in this case) ia with each voltage source short-circuited and each current source open circuited,and then summing those currents through it to get ia.. ? :

5ia becomes open circuited leaving only the 32 ohm resistor with current flowing through and with V = IR i got 0.75A like you said, Electrician.

So

say ia = i (current through)

this i(current through) = I' + I''

so I' = 0.75A

Then I'' would be from short circuiting the 24V

But then I made a short circuit out of the 24V getting this

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2826/homeworkprobsg27edit2.jpg stuck again; I know I would have to solve for I'' in the new diagram now though, right?

If you have a dependent current source in your circuit then you need at least one independent source active in order to analyze the circuit. Otherwise there's nothing for the dependent source to 'sample' and react to to get started.

In this circuit you've got one dependent source and one independent source, so you'll need to leave both active to analyze. Why not just write KCL at the top node and solve for the current of interest?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Then I'' would be from short circuiting the 24V

But then I made a short circuit out of the 24V getting this

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2826/homeworkprobsg27edit2.jpg

stuck again; I know I would have to solve for I'' in the new diagram now though, right?

The 32 ohm resistor is shorted by the wire containing I''.

It looks to me like I'' = 5Ia

Proceed from there.

let me check that,

so ia = 0.75A + 5ia

-4ia = 0.75A

ia = -0.1875

5ia = -0.9375Aso Vm = (0.9375A)(3 ohm) = -2.81V, but not sure, and no answer given.Trying what gneill said:With this:

then 5ia + I1 = ia

I1 = -4ia

I think I1 = 24V / 32ohm

I1 = 0.75A

-4ia = 0.75A

ia = -0.1875 A

5ia = -0.9375 A

Vm = (-0.9375 A)(3 ohm)

Vm = -2.81V again, surprising if it's really just KVL too.

Would this be correct?

Looks fine.

It seems we can't do a nodal analysis because the place where we would want to have a node (the junction of the 32 ohm and the 3 ohm resistors) is shorted to ground.

A technique I've used in cases like this is to replace the wire carrying Ia with a resistor R. Then perform the nodal analysis and take the limit as R goes to zero.

Let the aforementioned junction be V1 and the right end of the 3 ohm resistor be V2 (also Vm). Then we can form two nodal equations and solve them with matrix algebra:

attachment.php?attachmentid=55806&stc=1&d=1361039644.png

Vm is -2.8125 volts.

Attachments

• CyanGuy.png
    CyanGuy.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 502

Related to Find the voltage Vm (mesh / nodal analysis)

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a technique used in electrical circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node or junction point in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node.

2. How is nodal analysis different from mesh analysis?

Nodal analysis and mesh analysis are both methods used to analyze electrical circuits, but they differ in the approach they take. Nodal analysis focuses on determining the voltage at each node in a circuit, while mesh analysis focuses on determining the current in each loop of the circuit.

3. What is a mesh in a circuit?

A mesh in a circuit is a closed loop that does not contain any other loops within it. It is used in mesh analysis to simplify the circuit and solve for the current in each loop.

4. How do you find the voltage using nodal analysis?

To find the voltage using nodal analysis, you first need to label all the nodes in the circuit. Then, you write out Kirchhoff's Current Law for each node, setting the sum of currents entering the node equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. Finally, you solve the resulting equations to find the voltage at each node.

5. Is nodal analysis the most accurate method for circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis is considered one of the most accurate methods for circuit analysis, as it takes into account all the currents and voltages in a circuit. However, it can become complicated for larger and more complex circuits, in which case other methods such as mesh analysis or superposition may be more suitable.