Find the value of ##5x+5y## in the given equation

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the value of 5x+5y, given the equations 2x=-7y, 4x=-7y, and x/y=-7/4. It is noted that there are infinite possible solutions for x and y, and that the value of 5x+5y cannot be determined without further information. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding the greatest possible value of 5x+5y, but it is concluded that this is not possible due to the infinite number of solutions for x and y.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Consider the equation; ##2x+4y##=##\dfrac {1}{2}y##. Find possible values of ##5x+5y##.
Relevant Equations
understanding of equations
This is a problem created by me.

Ok my approach on this,
##2x##=##-\dfrac {7}{2}####y##
##4x=-7y##
##\dfrac {x}{y}=\dfrac {-7}{4}##
##⇒x=-7##, ##y=4##
therefore, ##5x+5y=-35+20=-15##.

there may be more solutions...your thoughts guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are infinite possible pairs of x and y e.g.
x=-7,y=4
x=-14, y=8
X=1, y=-4/7

Say 5x+5y=A, y=##\frac{A}{5}-x##
By inputting it to 4x=-7y
[tex]4x=-\frac{7A}{5}-7x[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac{55}{7}x[/tex]
As variable x takes any possible value, A does also.

[EDIT]Correction
[tex]4x=-\frac{7A}{5}+7x[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac{15}{7}x[/tex]

Last edited:
True, in multiples of ##-7n##...where n lies in R...sorry am typing using my phone ...no latex...##n=1, 2,3, ...## is there a mistake on your last fraction? If you substitute ##x=-7##, we don't seem to arrive at same solution...

Likes anuttarasammyak
chwala said:
True, in multiples of ##-7n##...where ##n= 2,3, ...## is there a mistake on your last fraction? If you substitute ##x=-7##, we don't seem to arrive at same solution...
These kinds of problems are very badly phrased. You have given a proportion between ##x## and ##y## and try to figure out an absolute value. This cannot be done. It is impossible.

We have ##x=-\dfrac{7}{4}y## so ##5x+5y=-\dfrac{35}{4}y+\dfrac{20}{4}y=-\dfrac{15}{4}y=\dfrac{15}{7}x## and that is all that can be said. There is no way to prefer plugging in a particular value for ##x## or ##y## over any other value. ##x=y=0## would be an easy solution, even without any algebra.

Likes MatinSAR and chwala
Noted, a learning point for me. Thanks Fresh...

just on a side note 'could we then talk of finding the greatest possible value of ##5x+5y##?' ...i can see that we have a straight line function...

1647007756329.png

We are given the green line (2x+4y=0.5y) and asked for an intersection with any of the other lines (5x+5y=A). But every non-green line and every parallel to them is valid. So the intersections are all points on the green line, depending on which non-green line we choose, i.e. which value for A. All we have is the slope of the non-green lines, but not where they cross the green line.

Likes sysprog and chwala
chwala said:
This is a problem created by me.
Ok my approach on this,
##2x##=##-\dfrac {7}{2}####y##
##4x=-7y##
##\dfrac {x}{y}=\dfrac {-7}{4}##
##⇒x=-7##, ##y=4##
No, you cannot conclude this without also noting that this is merely one of an infinite number of solutions, including such points (pairs) as (-14, 8), (7, -4) and so on ad infinitum.

The first line of what I've quoted is ##2x = -\frac 7 2 y##.
This is a single equation in two variables, which means that one of the variables can be freely chosen. I've seen you make this over-simplification in at least one of your recent threads.
chwala said:
therefore, ##5x+5y=-35+20=-15##.
No, you cannot conclude this.
Solving for x in your first equation above yields ##x = -\frac 7 4 y##.
Substitute into 5x + 5y:
##5x + 5y = 5(-\frac 7 4 y) + 5y = -\frac{35}4y + \frac{20} 4 y = -\frac{15}4 y##
That's really all you can legitimately say.

The value for y is arbitrary, meaning that 5x + 5y can take on an infinite number of values.

Likes sysprog and chwala
What about if we were to find the greatest possible value of ##5x+5y?##

Referring to A in #2, as
[tex]x[-\infty,+\infty],[/tex]
[tex]A[-\infty,+\infty].[/tex]

[EDIT] ( , ) instead of [ , ]

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Referring to A in #2, as
[tex]x[-\infty,+\infty],[/tex]
[tex]A[-\infty,+\infty].[/tex]
Thanks will check...we know that ##x## and ##y## are dependant on each other ...but having different sign, one is positive and other negative...I will check on this...thanks Anutta...

True, infinity it is...cheers mate.

Likes anuttarasammyak

Related to Find the value of ##5x+5y## in the given equation

1. What is the equation for finding the value of 5x+5y?

The equation for finding the value of 5x+5y is simply 5x+5y. This means that you would plug in the values for x and y and then solve the equation to get the final value.

2. How do I solve for the value of 5x+5y?

To solve for the value of 5x+5y, you would first plug in the values for x and y. Then, you would use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to simplify the equation and solve for the final value.

3. Can I use any values for x and y in the equation 5x+5y?

Yes, you can use any values for x and y in the equation 5x+5y. However, in order to get a specific value, you would need to plug in specific numbers for x and y.

4. Is there a specific method for solving the equation 5x+5y?

The method for solving the equation 5x+5y is the same as solving any other algebraic equation. You would plug in the values for x and y, simplify the equation using the order of operations, and solve for the final value.

5. Can I use this equation to find the value of any expression with multiple variables?

No, this equation can only be used to find the value of 5x+5y specifically. To find the value of an expression with multiple variables, you would need to use a different equation or method.