For Atlantis, turn right at Cyprus

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, an American researcher believes he has discovered the site of the lost civilization of Atlantis on the sea floor between Cyprus and Syria, not far from Greece and Egypt. This theory has been met with skepticism, as there is no concrete evidence to support it. Some believe that Atlantis is purely a product of Greek imagination, while others think it may have been located in the Atlantic Ocean, perhaps near Cuba.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After nearly a decade of rummaging through libraries, studying maps, reading ancient works and pouring over oceanographic data, an American researcher believes he has discovered the site of the lost civilisation on the sea floor between Cyprus and Syria, not far from Greece and Egypt, from where the legend of Atlantis originated.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1051220,00.html

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion is that Atlantis originated exclusively in the imagination of a certain Greek person, during an inexplicable bout of confabulation, or hallucination in what was otherwise a sober and realistic mind.

It seems that I hear about a new discovery of what could have been Atlantis once or twice a year. I really don't believe there was an Atlantis.

If he's pinpointed the location, where's the proof? If I think I'm on the brink of a monumentual discovery like this, I'd go the extra mile and get proof. Pictures, sonar graphs, undeniable proof. THEN I publish my results. Almost only counts in horshoes and hand grenades

Almost only counts in horshoes and hand grenades

Hey, its the 21st century. Nukes work too.

If Atlantis existed, I think it was in the Atlantic (duh). Here maybe?:
http://www.earthfiles.com
(I've not been there in a while, so it may take some searching, it was right on top last time, about Cuba and underwater structures)

Yes, that's what I meant!

1. What is the significance of turning right at Cyprus for finding Atlantis?

According to the ancient Greek philosopher Plato, Atlantis was said to be located beyond the Pillars of Hercules, which is believed to be near the Strait of Gibraltar. Turning right at Cyprus, which is located east of the Pillars of Hercules, would lead one towards the direction of Atlantis.

2. Is there any historical evidence to support the idea of turning at Cyprus to find Atlantis?

There is no concrete historical evidence to support this idea. The story of Atlantis is primarily based on Plato's writings, which are often considered as allegorical or fictional rather than factual.

3. Are there any modern theories or studies that suggest turning right at Cyprus could lead to Atlantis?

While there are no recent studies specifically about turning at Cyprus to find Atlantis, there have been various theories and speculations about the possible location of Atlantis. Some suggest that it could be found in the Mediterranean Sea, near modern-day Cyprus.

4. How far is Cyprus from the supposed location of Atlantis?

The distance between Cyprus and the Strait of Gibraltar, which is believed to be near the location of Atlantis, is approximately 2,000 kilometers. However, the exact location of Atlantis is still a subject of debate and speculation.

5. Has anyone tried to follow the route of turning at Cyprus to find Atlantis?

There have been expeditions and searches for the lost city of Atlantis, but none have specifically followed the route of turning at Cyprus. Most of these expeditions have been unsuccessful in finding any concrete evidence of Atlantis's existence.