Max Velocity on Elevated Curve: Solving for Mu_s

• Thread starter Spectre32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum velocity that a car can obtain before sliding out of a curved racetrack. The formula for maximum static friction, mu_s*N, is given, but there is confusion about how to apply it to the problem. The angle of the curve and the radius of the track are provided, and it is suggested to use the formula mu_s*R/cos(theta) to continue solving the problem. The concept of normal force and its role in calculating frictional force is also discussed.
Spectre32
This pertains to uniform circular motion, on a elvated curve, similar to a racetrack. Now, I know that the coffecient of static friction is mu_s=(v^2/gR)and that the max is equal to mu_s*N. Since the circle is curved and has an angle, I'm not sure how to apply what i have thus far into figure out the max velocity, before the car slides out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

"Ok with Uniform circular motion if you want to figure out the maximun velocity that and object can sustain with going around before slideing off."

Slide off what? You don't even say WHAT is causing the object to move in a circle. I probably shouldn't mention the fact that this is not even a sentence.

"Now, I know that the coffecient of statci friction is mu_s=(v^2/gR)and that the max is equal to mu_s*N. "

If the object is already moving then static friction is irrelevant. Did you mean to say "kinetic friction" or "sliding friction"?

"Since the circle is curved and has an angle"

Maybe it would help if you said with respect to what the angle is measured.

ok, The circle is a racetrack, that is elvated up off the ground at an angle of Theta(at a curve). Now My goal is to figure out the maximun velocity that a car can obatin before sliding out of the cure. The only numbers that they give me are Radius= 200 and the coeff of static friction is mu_s between the tires and the pavement. As i had stated before I know hpw to figure out the max friction, it would be mu_s*N. I and just having a problem putting that and getting the velocity.

i was pondering the idea of this mu_s*R/cos(theta) it makes sense number wise when continuing on to the next step of the problem, when it tells you to give the velocity for angles 0-50 degrees and using a static friction of .60.

Last edited:
You know the radius of the track so you can calculate the force the track applies to the object to turn it (directed toward the center of the circle). The object itself applies the same force to the track, directed outward. Knowing that, and the angle at which the track is tilted, you can calculate the "normal" force- the component of that force that is directed straight into the track. That, multiplied by the coefficient of friction gives the frictional force applied by the track. If the component of force parallel to the track (the "other" component after you have taken off the normal force) is greater than that, the object will slide off the track.

What is the equation for calculating the maximum velocity on an elevated curve?

The equation for calculating the maximum velocity on an elevated curve is v_max = √(rgμ_s), where v_max is the maximum velocity, r is the radius of the curve, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and μ_s is the coefficient of static friction.

What is the significance of the coefficient of static friction in this equation?

The coefficient of static friction, μ_s, represents the amount of friction between the tires of a vehicle and the surface of the curve. It is a measure of how well the tires grip the surface, and a higher value of μ_s means the vehicle can maintain a higher velocity while safely navigating the curve.

How does the radius of the curve affect the maximum velocity?

The radius of the curve, r, is directly proportional to the maximum velocity, v_max. This means that a larger radius will result in a higher maximum velocity, while a smaller radius will result in a lower maximum velocity.

Can the maximum velocity on an elevated curve be greater than the maximum velocity on a flat surface?

Yes, the maximum velocity on an elevated curve can be greater than the maximum velocity on a flat surface. This is because the elevated curve allows for the centripetal force to be greater than the force of gravity, allowing the vehicle to maintain a higher velocity without sliding off the curve.

What other factors can affect the maximum velocity on an elevated curve?

Besides the radius of the curve and the coefficient of static friction, other factors that can affect the maximum velocity on an elevated curve include the mass and weight distribution of the vehicle, the condition of the tires, and any external forces acting on the vehicle (such as wind or inclines).