Find the Two-Digit Number: Exceeds by 4 and 1 Less Than Twice the Units Digit

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the two-digit number can be either 59 or 95, depending on whether the tens or units digit is taken as the variable.
paulmdrdo1
The tens digit of a certain two-digit number exceeds the units digit by 4 and is 1 less than twice the units digit. Find the two-digit number.

this is my solution,

let $x=$ tens digit, $x-4=$units digit.

$x=2(x-4)-1$ then, $x=9$ and $9-4=5$

the number is 59

but when I let $x=$ units digit and $x+4=$ tens digit I get the answer of 95.

can you tell me which one is correct?

tnahks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: digit problems.

I let $T$ be the tens digit and $U$ be the units digit, and so:

\(\displaystyle T=U+4=2U-1\implies U=5\implies T=9\)

And so the two digit number is $95$.

paulmdrdo said:
let $x=$ tens digit... $x=9$ and $9-4=5$

the number is 59
No, it's 95.

paulmdrdo said:
The tens digit of a certain two-digit number exceeds the units digit by 4 and is 1 less than twice the units digit. Find the two-digit number.

this is my solution,

let $x=$ tens digit, $x-4=$units digit.

$x=2(x-4)-1$ then, $x=9$ and $9-4=5$

the number is 59

but when I let $x=$ units digit and $x+4=$ tens digit I get the answer of 95.

can you tell me which one is correct?

tnahks!

In your solution you said: "let $x$ be the tens digit", and then solved for $x$ to obtain $x = 9$.

Thus your number is 9_ (ninety-something).

Solving for the unit digit, which you have as $x - 4$, you obtained: 5.

Thus your number is 95.

You solved it correctly, but misinterpreted your own solution.

I cannot determine which of the two answers is correct without more information. It appears that both solutions satisfy the given conditions, so either could be correct. It is possible that there is a typo in the problem or that there are multiple solutions. I would recommend double checking the problem or providing more context to determine the correct answer.

Related to Find the Two-Digit Number: Exceeds by 4 and 1 Less Than Twice the Units Digit

1. What is the two-digit number that exceeds by 4 and is 1 less than twice the units digit?

The two-digit number that fits this description is 42. It exceeds by 4, as 42 is 4 more than 38. It is also 1 less than twice the units digit, as 2 times 2 is 4 and 42 is 1 less than 4.

2. What is the equation for finding this two-digit number?

The equation for finding this two-digit number is 10x + y = 2y - 1 + 4, where x represents the tens digit and y represents the units digit. This equation can be simplified to 9x = y + 3, and by substituting different values for y, the possible solutions can be found.

3. Can there be more than one solution for this problem?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions for this problem. For example, if we substitute y = 5, we get the solution 59. If we substitute y = 6, we get the solution 68. Both of these numbers exceed by 4 and are 1 less than twice the units digit.

4. Is there a specific method for solving this type of problem?

Yes, there is a specific method for solving this type of problem. It involves setting up an equation and then solving for the unknown variables. In this case, we set up the equation 10x + y = 2y - 1 + 4 and solve for x and y. This method can be applied to similar problems with different numbers and conditions.

5. How can this problem be used in real-life situations?

This problem can be used in real-life situations when dealing with number patterns and equations. It can also be used in problem-solving and critical thinking exercises. For example, a teacher may use this problem to challenge their students and encourage them to think creatively and logically.