Find the total outward force exerted on the vertical wall

In summary, the above-ground backyard swimming pool has a diameter of 4.9 m and a depth of 1.3 m. In order to find the total outward force exerted on the vertical wall of the pool, one must calculate the force from the pressure of the fluid (either water or air) against the wall. If it is filled with water, the average force can be calculated using the distribution of pressure, with the maximum pressure at the bottom and zero at the surface. If there is no water in the pool, the net force will be zero due to atmospheric pressure. By using the dimensions given, the estimated force on the wall from water pressure is 145 kN/m².
SoccaCrazy24
An above-ground backyard swimming pool is shaped like a large hockey puck, with a circular bottom and a vertical wall forming its perimeter. The diameter of the pool is 4.9 m and its depth is 1.3 m. Find the total outward force exerted on the vertical wall of the pool.

so P= F / A
and i used P as Pat = 101000
and the area i found as surface area = (pi)(d)(h) = 20.01
so i multiplied P * A to equal F
20.01*101000 = 2021 kN ... where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on the wall comes from the pressure of the fluid acting against that wall.
What fluid is pressing against the wall ?
What is the pressure at any point in that fluid ?

well in the problem it does not say any liquid is in there so the only fluid i can think of is the atmospheric pressure or pressure of air which is 101000 N/m2 ... is this right?

Hmmm, you're right. There is no mention of water. I assumed that since it was a swimming pool it would be filled with water!

And if it is only air in the pool, then I can't see where you have gone wrong either.

Do you know the right answer ?

umm no... but there is a problem with similar numbers that vary maybe by a little bit such as a height of 1.4 m and diameter of 4.8 m I am not sure... but the answer was 160 kN ... i can get you the information for the problem that comes out to be 160 kN tomorrow...

OK, thanks.

well if anyone else can help please feel free... I am a little bit lost on this one...

I would think that you'll have to assume that it's filled with water. The thing about that is that the outward force is going to be dependent on depth. The force distribution should be triangular with the max pressure at the bottom going to zero at the surface. The average force can then be calculated.

Check out page 7 and 8 here:
http://www.cbu.edu/~bbbeard/313/Day_05.pdf

Just noticed something. The pool is above ground.

That means that, if there were no water in it, then both the inside and outside of the pool wall be subjected to atmospheric pressure, which would cancel - leaving a net force of zero acting on the vertical wall surface.
So it looks like it must be force from the pressure of water only.

The pressure in the water will depend upon its depth and also the pressure of the atmosphere on its surface. But the outside of the pool wall is also subject to atmosphere, so the effects of atmosperic pressure will cancel out and you will only need to work out the force on the wall from the water.
Have alook at that pdf file FredGarvin attached.

Also, doing it this way, I got 145 kN/m2 for that 160 Kn/m² problem with the dimensions you gave. But at least it's a reasonable ballpark figure as opposed to 2021 Kn/m²

Related to Find the total outward force exerted on the vertical wall

What is the definition of total outward force?

The total outward force is the combined force exerted on an object or surface from all directions. In the context of a vertical wall, it refers to the sum of all the forces pushing away from the wall in a perpendicular direction.

How is the total outward force calculated?

The total outward force can be calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on the vertical wall. This includes the force of gravity, any applied forces, and any forces from surrounding objects or fluids.

What factors affect the total outward force on a vertical wall?

The total outward force on a vertical wall can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the angle at which the force is applied, and the strength of the forces acting on the wall. Additionally, the material and structural integrity of the wall can also impact the total outward force.

Why is it important to calculate the total outward force on a vertical wall?

Calculating the total outward force on a vertical wall is important for understanding the stability and safety of the structure. It allows engineers and architects to design and construct walls that can withstand the forces exerted on them, preventing collapse or damage.

Are there any real-world applications of calculating the total outward force on a vertical wall?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of calculating the total outward force on a vertical wall. This includes designing and constructing buildings, retaining walls, and dams, as well as predicting the effects of natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes on structures.