Find the total electric charge

In summary, to find the total electric charge of 1 kg of an electron or proton, you would divide the mass of 1 kg by the respective mass of the electron (9.11E-31 kg) or proton (1.67E-27 kg) and then multiply by the magnitude of the electric charge (+/- 1.60E-19 C). This will give you the total electric charge in Coulombs.
helpme12345
I am confused by a question related to me about electric charge. How can you find the total electric charge of 1 kg of an electron or proton? I know the magnitudes of the charges are + - 1.60X10^-19 C. Would I use the, for example, the electron mass 9.11X 10^31 kg, take the 1 kg and divide by the electron mass? This cancels the kg and then multiply by the electric charge? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me. Do a similar calculation for the proton, which has a different mass.

(The electron mass is 9.11E-31 kg, not 9.11E+31; careful with those exponents! I assume it's just a typo.)

To find the total electric charge of 1 kg of an electron or proton, you would first need to convert the mass of 1 kg into the corresponding number of particles. This can be done using the mass of an electron or proton, which is approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kg.

So, for 1 kg of electrons, you would have approximately 1/(9.11 x 10^-31) = 1.097 x 10^31 electrons. Similarly, for 1 kg of protons, you would have approximately 1/(1.67 x 10^-27) = 5.988 x 10^26 protons.

Next, you would multiply the number of particles by the magnitude of the charge of each particle (+1.60 x 10^-19 C for protons and -1.60 x 10^-19 C for electrons) to find the total electric charge.

For 1 kg of electrons, the total charge would be (1.097 x 10^31) x (-1.60 x 10^-19 C) = -1.755 x 10^12 C. For 1 kg of protons, the total charge would be (5.988 x 10^26) x (+1.60 x 10^-19 C) = +9.581 x 10^7 C.

So, in summary, to find the total electric charge of 1 kg of an electron or proton, you would first convert the mass into the corresponding number of particles and then multiply by the magnitude of the charge of each particle. I hope this helps clarify your confusion.

Related to Find the total electric charge

1. What is the formula for finding the total electric charge?

The formula for finding the total electric charge is Q = ne, where Q is the total charge, n is the number of charges, and e is the elementary charge.

2. How do I determine the direction of electric charge?

The direction of electric charge is determined by the direction of the electric field. Positive charges move in the direction of the electric field, while negative charges move in the opposite direction.

3. What units are used to measure electric charge?

The SI unit for electric charge is the coulomb (C). In some cases, the unit of elementary charge (e) or the unit of charge in a single electron (e-) may also be used.

4. Can the total electric charge of a system be negative?

Yes, the total electric charge of a system can be negative if there are more negative charges present than positive charges. This is known as a negative charge imbalance.

5. How does the distance between charges affect the total electric charge?

The total electric charge of a system is directly proportional to the distance between charges. The farther apart the charges are, the weaker the electric force between them and therefore, the lower the total electric charge.