Find the Total Cost for X Cards Bought | Help Writing an Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter Colt1229
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, to find the total cost for X cards bought, use the equation f(x)=20X+40 to find the price of an individual card, and then use the equation $\sum_{n=1}^{X}(40+20n)$ to add up the costs from the 1st card to the Xth card. This will avoid having to calculate each card's cost individually.
Colt1229
Every time you buy a card the price goes up 20 units. The first card costs 60 units. How would you write an equation to find the TOTAL cost for X cards bought? I know how to get a price of an individual card by using the equation f(x)=20X+40. How would I write an equation that would add up the answers of f(x). I do not want to have to do it the long way.
The 1st card costs 60
2nd card costs 80
3rd costs 100
So the total cost for 3 cards is 240.
I do not know how to turn it into an equation though. If I wanted to go to 60 cards it would take forever.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Colt1229 said:
Every time you buy a card the price goes up 20 units. The first card costs 60 units. How would you write an equation to find the TOTAL cost for X cards bought? I know how to get a price of an individual card by using the equation f(x)=20X+40. How would I write an equation that would add up the answers of f(x). I do not want to have to do it the long way.
The 1st card costs 60
2nd card costs 80
3rd costs 100
So the total cost for 3 cards is 240.
I do not know how to turn it into an equation though. If I wanted to go to 60 cards it would take forever.
The $1^{st}$ card costs 60
$2^{nd}$ card costs 80
the $n^{th}$ card costs 60 + (n-1) * 20 = 40 + 20n

so total cost = $\sum_{n= 1}^{X}(40+20n)$

you should be able to proceed

Last edited:
kaliprasad said:
The $1^{st}$ card costs 60
$2^{nd}$ card costs 80
the $n^{th}$ card costs 60 + (n-1) * 20 = 40 * 20n

so total cost = $\sum_{n= 1}^{X}(40+2n)$

you should be able to proceed

Not to sound rude, since i am asking for help. However, I do not think that 60+ (n-1)*20 is equal to 40*20n.

60+(n-1)*20 does however equal 40+20n. Also, I do not understand how you got \sum_{n=1}^{X}(40+2n). Well really I don't understand where the (40+2n) comes from. Thank you for helping me though!

Colt1229 said:
Not to sound rude, since i am asking for help. However, I do not think that 60+ (n-1)*20 is equal to 40*20n.

60+(n-1)*20 does however equal 40+20n. Also, I do not understand how you got \sum_{n=1}^{X}(40+2n). Well really I don't understand where the (40+2n) comes from. Thank you for helping me though!

Thanks. It was a mistake on my part 40 + 20n in place of 40* 2n.

now we have found the cost of $n^{th}$ item and we need to add the cost from 1st to X and hence the sum.

Thank you very much. You were a great help. I just needed a memory refresh because its been so long.

Related to Find the Total Cost for X Cards Bought | Help Writing an Equation

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It typically consists of numbers, variables, and mathematical symbols.

Why is writing an equation important?

Writing an equation is important because it allows us to express mathematical concepts and relationships in a concise and standardized way. It also helps in solving mathematical problems and communicating ideas to others.

What are the key components of an equation?

The key components of an equation include numbers, variables, mathematical operators (such as +, -, x, ÷), and an equal sign (=) which indicates that the two sides of the equation are equal.

How do I write a balanced equation?

A balanced equation is one in which the quantity of each element or compound is the same on both sides of the equation. To write a balanced equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides, and that the charges are also balanced.

Are there any rules for writing equations?

Yes, there are certain rules for writing equations. These include using proper mathematical notation, maintaining balance on both sides of the equation, and following the order of operations (PEMDAS). It is also important to use clear and consistent variables and to label units for each quantity.