Find the Time Period [ block-spring simple system]

In summary: However I am not sure how to eliminate this y or proceed further."You might try sketching an elimination diagram to see if you can work out the displacement vectors that would lead to the elimination of y.
shivam01anand

Homework Statement

https://docs.google.com/gview?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mycollegebag.in%2Fuploads%2F9%2F2%2F0%2F3%2F9203182%2Fchapter_12_simple_harmonic_motion.pdf&docid=31dfd636644a39577f33426fb9afdf23&a=bi&pagenumber=6&w=561

Homework Statement

I am referring to the second figure( q19)

It says

"A particle of mass is attached to three springs a,b and c . The blog is compressed towards C( the bottom left one) by a small distance. Find the time period of the subsequent SHM motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay i tried displacing it towards c by x and the A/B springs by y making an angle θ in the new compressed position.

However I am not sure how to eliminate this y or proceed further.

Moreover if the question was q.20 where all the three springs are symmetrically arranged i was able to just calculate k effective via series parallel as 2/3 * k which gave me the correct answer[is this right first of all?] how can i hope to apply this with the q.19 where angles are not so symmetrical

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any labels on the figures -
The second from the bottom is the only diagram on that page with a spring labelled "C", but it has no "XL" on it so I cannot tell for sure that this is what is intended.

You have sketched the displaced position ... have you resolved all the spring forces into components along (and perpendicular to) the direction of the displacement?

shivam01anand said:
Okay i tried displacing it towards c by x and the A/B springs by y making an angle θ in the new compressed position.
I'm not sure what you mean by y and θ here. Remember that x is taken to be small, so you can approximate the change in length of each of the other two springs as a simple multiple of x. Just consider what component the distance vector x has parallel to spring A.

Related to Find the Time Period [ block-spring simple system]

What is the time period of a block-spring simple system?

The time period of a block-spring simple system is the amount of time it takes for the system to complete one full oscillation, or one back-and-forth motion.

How is the time period of a block-spring simple system determined?

The time period of a block-spring simple system is determined by the mass of the block, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

What factors can affect the time period of a block-spring simple system?

The time period of a block-spring simple system can be affected by changes in the mass of the block, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. Other external factors such as friction and air resistance can also impact the time period.

Can the time period of a block-spring simple system be altered?

Yes, the time period of a block-spring simple system can be altered by changing the factors that affect it. For example, increasing the mass of the block or decreasing the spring constant will result in a longer time period, while decreasing the mass or increasing the spring constant will result in a shorter time period.

What is the relationship between the time period and frequency of a block-spring simple system?

The time period and frequency of a block-spring simple system are inversely proportional - as the time period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be expressed as f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the time period.