Find the time constant of a damped system

In summary, the problem involves a 3.9kg block hanging from a spring with a constant of 2160 N/m. The block is pulled down 6.2 cm and given an initial velocity of 1.5 m/s towards equilibrium. The mass and spring are then immersed in water to dampen the motion, reducing the amplitude to 5% of its original value in 25 seconds. The question asks for the time constant, which can be found using the equation τ=m/b where b is the damping constant. It is suggested to use the equation of damped harmonic motion to find the damping constant from the given information.
hamsterB

Homework Statement

A 3.9kg block hangs from a spring with constant 2160 N/m. The block is pulled down 6.2 cm from the equilibrium position and given an initial velocity of 1.5 m/s back towards equilibrium. The mass and spring are now immersed in water to damp the motion, so that the amplitude is reduced to 5% of its original value in 25 seconds. What is the time constant?

Homework Equations

τ=m/b where b is damping constant
xmax(t)=Ae^-t/2τ

The Attempt at a Solution

In previous parts of the question I found that the Amplitude (before damping) is 89cm, but I'm not sure if that's useful in this problem. I thought there might be some way to find out what the damping constant is from the fact that it reduces to 5% of A in 25 seconds, and then just plug that into τ=m/b, but I'm not sure how to go about that. Any help would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought there might be some way to find out what the damping constant is from the fact that it reduces to 5% of A in 25 seconds,...
Sounds good to me - what does the equation of damped harmonic motion look like?

Related to Find the time constant of a damped system

1. What is the time constant of a damped system?

The time constant of a damped system is a characteristic value that represents the rate at which the system's response decays over time. It is typically denoted by the symbol "τ" and is measured in seconds.

2. How do you calculate the time constant of a damped system?

The time constant can be calculated by dividing the natural logarithm of the system's initial amplitude by the negative damping coefficient. In other words, τ = ln(A0) / (-b), where A0 is the initial amplitude and b is the damping coefficient.

3. What factors can affect the time constant of a damped system?

The time constant of a damped system can be affected by several factors, including the initial amplitude, damping coefficient, and the system's natural frequency. Additionally, external forces or disturbances can also impact the time constant.

4. How does the value of the time constant affect the response of a damped system?

The time constant is inversely proportional to the rate of decay of the system's response. This means that a higher time constant will result in a slower decay of the response, while a lower time constant will result in a faster decay. Additionally, the time constant also affects the oscillation frequency of the system.

5. Can the time constant of a damped system be changed?

Yes, the time constant of a damped system can be changed by altering the system's damping coefficient or natural frequency. Additionally, external forces or disturbances can also impact the time constant. However, the initial amplitude of the system cannot be changed once the system is in motion.