Find the Tension in the rope ( really simple )

In summary, the block weighs 25.0 N and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.35. The tension in the rope can be found using the equation T = μk * m. The correct answer is 8.75 N, as units should always be checked to avoid calculation errors.
rulzwrld
Find the Tension in the rope ...( really simple :D)

Homework Statement

A block pulled by a string is moving on a horizontal plane with a constant speed, it weighs 25.0 N and its coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.35 . Find the tension in the rope ?

Homework Equations

Fx = t - Fk
T = Fk = μk * N = μk *mg

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer results 85.84 N ... which is completely off the textbook answer 8.75 which can be yield by μk * m ... I don't understand why does it eliminate the 'g' out of the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

Look at the units mentioned in the question.

Lol , thanks, i actually came back coz i found the answer and I knew it was something really stupid ...

No problem! Every year, the AP examiners' report mentions that many many points are lost because of units or calculation errors, so always check the units!

Related to Find the Tension in the rope ( really simple )

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object in order to stretch or pull it. In the context of a rope, tension refers to the force that is pulling on both ends of the rope, creating a taut or tight connection.

2. How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the rope, and L is the length of the rope. If the force and length are known, the tension can be easily determined using this formula.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the length of the rope, the material and thickness of the rope, and any external forces acting on the rope, such as gravity or friction.

4. Can the tension in a rope be greater than the force applied?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be greater than the force applied to it. This is because tension is a measure of the force distributed along the length of the rope, while the force applied only refers to the specific point where the force is being exerted.

5. How can the tension in a rope be adjusted?

The tension in a rope can be adjusted by changing the force applied to the rope, changing the length of the rope, or by manipulating the material and thickness of the rope. For example, pulling harder on the rope will increase the tension, while loosening the rope will decrease the tension.