Find the tax rate t that maximizes revenue for the government?

In summary: So, we may state:R(t)=S(t)\cdot t=\left(5-9\sqrt[3]{t}\right)t=5t-9t^{\frac{4}{3}}Now, you can proceed by equating the first derivative of the revenue function to zero, to find your critical point, and then use one of the derivative tests to demonstrate that this critical value is at a relative maximum for the revenue function.Can you proceed?Yep! Thank you! I got an answer of 0.07234 after I took the derivative and set it to 0 for which my assignment said was correct. Thank you for all your help
vaultDweller96
Suppose that the relationship between the tax rate t on imported shoes and the total sales S (in millions of dollars) is given by the function below:
S(t) = 5 − 9 * sqrt[3]{t}

t = ?

Find the tax rate t that maximizes revenue for the government. (Round your answer to three decimal places.)
(Hint: S(t) is the total sales, NOT the government's revenue! Think about how you calculate how much sales tax you pay to the government when you make a purchase).

I'm not sure how to solve this? Do I take the derivative and set it to 0 or?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, vaultDweller96! (Wave)

First, what you need to do is define the government's revenue function, in terms of the tax rate $t$, that is, you need to determine $R(t)$. If we know total sales, and we know the tax rate, how do we compute the total revenue to the government from the sales of the shoes?

I'm a little confused sorry, how do we find R(t)? Is our total sales function the one given? Or is the tax rate the one given?

vaultDweller96 said:
I'm a little confused sorry, how do we find R(t)? Is our total sales function the one given? Or is the tax rate the one given?

We are being asked to find the tax rate that maximizes the government's revenue. Now, suppose you are at the store about to make a purchase...and you know sales tax is 8%...how would you determine the amount of tax that will be charged?

MarkFL said:
We are being asked to find the tax rate that maximizes the government's revenue. Now, suppose you are at the store about to make a purchase...and you know sales tax is 8%...how would you determine the amount of tax that will be charged?

Mulitply it by the tax percetage?

vaultDweller96 said:
Mulitply it by the tax percetage?

Yes! (Yes)

To find the government's revenue from the tax, and we are told to let the tax rate be $t$, and we are given the amount in sales $S(t)$, then how should we construct the revenue function $R(t)$ from these?

MarkFL said:
Yes! (Yes)

To find the government's revenue from the tax, and we are told to let the tax rate be $t$, and we are given the amount in sales $S(t)$, then how should we construct the revenue function $R(t)$ from these?

So would it be R(t) = S(t) * t ?

vaultDweller96 said:
So would it be R(t) = S(t) * t ?

Yes, excellent! (Music)

So, we may state:

\(\displaystyle R(t)=S(t)\cdot t=\left(5-9\sqrt[3]{t}\right)t=5t-9t^{\frac{4}{3}}\)

Now, you can proceed by equating the first derivative of the revenue function to zero, to find your critical point, and then use one of the derivative tests to demonstrate that this critical value is at a relative maximum for the revenue function.

Can you proceed?

MarkFL said:
Yes, excellent! (Music)

So, we may state:

\(\displaystyle R(t)=S(t)\cdot t=\left(5-9\sqrt[3]{t}\right)t=5t-9t^{\frac{4}{3}}\)

Now, you can proceed by equating the first derivative of the revenue function to zero, to find your critical point, and then use one of the derivative tests to demonstrate that this critical value is at a relative maximum for the revenue function.

Can you proceed?

Yep! Thank you! I got an answer of 0.07234 after I took the derivative and set it to 0 for which my assignment said was correct. Thank you for all your help!

Just for the benefit of others, we find:

\(\displaystyle R'(t)=5-\frac{4}{3}\cdot9t^{\frac{1}{3}}=5-12t^{\frac{1}{3}}=0\implies t=\left(\frac{5}{12}\right)^3\approx7.2338\%\)

Now, to demonstrate that this critical value $t_C$ is at a relative maximum, we see that $0<R'(t)$ for $t<t_C$ and $R'(t)<0$ for $t_C<t$, and so we can then conclude that $t_C$ maximizes $R(t)$.

Related to Find the tax rate t that maximizes revenue for the government?

1. What is the purpose of finding the tax rate that maximizes revenue for the government?

The purpose is to determine the most efficient and effective tax rate that will generate the highest amount of revenue for the government, while also considering the impact on the economy and taxpayers.

2. How is the tax rate that maximizes revenue for the government calculated?

The tax rate is calculated by analyzing data on tax revenues and economic indicators, and using mathematical models and economic theories to determine the rate that will generate the most revenue for the government.

3. What factors are considered when determining the tax rate that maximizes revenue for the government?

Factors such as the current economic climate, consumer behavior, tax compliance, and government spending are all considered when determining the tax rate that will generate the most revenue for the government.

4. What are the potential consequences of setting the tax rate too high or too low?

If the tax rate is set too high, it may discourage economic activity and lead to a decrease in tax revenues. On the other hand, if the tax rate is set too low, it may result in a lower amount of tax revenue and potentially create budget deficits for the government.

5. How often is the tax rate that maximizes revenue for the government reassessed?

The tax rate is regularly reassessed by government agencies and economists to ensure that it is still effective and appropriate for the current economic conditions and government policies.