Americans still positive about space program

In summary, two-thirds of Americans believe the space shuttle program should continue despite two accidents. Additionally, nearly three-fourths see the space program as a worthwhile investment. However, some individuals, such as Claudette Davidson of Jonesboro, Georgia, do not believe in the success of the space program, citing movies like "Capricorn One" as evidence. Despite this, recent news of an increase in volunteers for the X-Prize program and the green light for a Pluto mission from NASA suggest that interest and support for space exploration remain strong. Some also argue that unmanned missions can be more effective and efficient in exploring near-space.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/07/28/sprj.colu.space.poll.ap/index.html [Broken]

Two-thirds of Americans say the space shuttle should continue to fly despite two disastrous accidents.

A higher number, nearly three-fourths, said they think the space program is a good investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
:frown:
oh, why did CNN have to include this idiocy?

"I think it's all bogus," said Claudette Davidson of Jonesboro, Georgia, who does accounting work for physicians. "I just do not believe they've gone to the moon." "I saw Capricorn One," she said, referring to a 1978 movie that featured O.J. Simpson and included a faked trip to Mars. "That did it for me."

Originally posted by Phobos
:frown: oh, why did CNN have to include this idiocy?

Something about Balanced Journalism, and you make a better argument if you can show that those who would oppose you, do so from a basis of (falsely) suspended trust/belief system(s).

Makes them look like the real kooks, not the Shuttle people.

Originally posted by Phobos
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/07/28/sprj.colu.space.poll.ap/index.html [Broken]

I recently read http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/xprize_030611.html [Broken] from Space.Com, that says the number of people volunteering to ride in X-Prize vehicles actually increased after the last Shuttle failure.

And
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/atlas5_pluto_030725.html [Broken] says that NASA announced Thursday that the Pluto mission is a GO. I was releived to hear it, since we've never been there and know so little about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty interesting effect, bout the X-Prize. And I'm not surprised that the unmanned missions have been relatively unscathed. I know that there's a faction at NASA, esp. JPL, that feel that the manned part of NASA is a complete waste of resources. I'm inclined to agree because we can accomplish much more with probes than humans in near-space exploration.

Last edited:

1. What is the current state of the American space program?

The American space program is still thriving and making advancements in space exploration. NASA continues to send astronauts to the International Space Station and is working towards sending humans to Mars. Private companies such as SpaceX and Blue Origin are also making significant contributions to the space program.

2. Why are Americans still positive about the space program?

Americans are still positive about the space program because it represents human ingenuity, exploration, and discovery. The space program has also brought about numerous technological advancements and has inspired future generations to pursue careers in STEM fields.

3. How has the space program impacted society?

The space program has had a significant impact on society in various ways. It has led to the development of new technologies, such as satellite communication and medical advancements. It has also brought people from different countries together to work towards a common goal, promoting international cooperation.

4. What are some recent achievements of the American space program?

Some recent achievements of the American space program include the successful launch and return of the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft with astronauts on board, the discovery of water on the moon, and the ongoing exploration of Mars by the Perseverance rover.

5. How is the American space program funded?

The American space program is primarily funded by the government, specifically through NASA's budget. However, private companies also play a significant role in funding and supporting the space program through partnerships and contracts with NASA.