Find the symmetric matrix from eigen vectors

In summary, the problem was solved by finding the matrix A that has the eigenvectors (orthogonal) of the matrix H. This was done by solving the equations A*H.1=lamda1*H.1 and A*H.2=lamda2*H.2, where each set of lamda(i) i=1,2 yielded a and d.
mihalisla
Hello to all of you,

Is there a way to get the matrix A=[a b c d] from the eigenvectors (orthogonal) matrix
H= sin(x) cos(x)
cos(x) -sin(x)
or to pose it differently to find a matrix that has these 2 eigenvectors ?

Thank you in advance .
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Just write the eigenvectors as columns of your matrix and watch what A*(1,0)^T does.

^T is the transpose? and why [1,0]? thanks!

I have made the assumption that matrix A should be symmetric because of the orthogonality of eigen vectors matrix! is this true? so matrix A = (a,b ;b, d) rows separated by ;

Oh sorry, ignore my first post.
Do you have fixed eigenvalues for those eigenvectors? Otherwise, there is a lot of freedom: all multiplies of the identity matrix (including the identity matrix) have all vectors as eigenvectors, for example.
With fixed eigenvalues, I get 4 equations for 4 unknown parameters, so I would expect that there is a unique solution.

no there are not fixed eigen values! how do I proceed?

If you don't know the eigenvalues, it is impossible to find the matrix. There are an infinite number of matrices having the same eigenvectors but different eigenvalues.
If D is the diagonal matrix, having the eigenvalues on the main diagonal and A is the matrix having the corresponding eigenvectors of the matrix as columns then [tex]ADA^{-1}[/tex] is the matrix having those eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

I started from the eq A*H.1= lamda1*H.1 where H.1 is the first column of H (the A matrix of user HallsofIvy) .
Then I did the same for lamda2 (the second eigen value that is unknown) and I got lamda1=]a*sin(x)+b*cos(x)]/sin(x) and another value lamda1=[b*sin(x)+d*cos(x)]/cos(x).
Also two values for lamda2.
Should I try to get 4 equations for the four pairs of lamda1 and lamda2 doing A=H*L*H^-1?
my main objective is to set a,b,d from A as functios of sin and cos and not set numbers I suppose. . .

Solved

Problem solved !
Matrix A=[a ,b]
[b, d]
From A*H.1=lamda1*H.1 I took
lamda1=(a*sin(x)+b*cos(x))/sin(x)
and lamda1=(b*sin(x)+d*cos)/cos(x)

From A*H.2=lamda2*H.2 I took
lamda2=(a*cos(x)-b*sin(x))/cos(x)
and lamda2=(d*sin(x)-b*cos(x))/sin(x)

For each set of lamda(i) i=1,2
i do next [A-lamda(i)]*H.i=0
All four sets of equations give me with free a ,d

b=((a-d)*cos(x)*sin(x))/(sin(x)^2-cos(x)^2)

It must be cos(x),sin(x) and sin(x)^2-cos(x)^2 not equal to zero

Thus matrix A takes the form A= a b=((a-d)*cos(x)*sin(x))/(sin(x)^2-cos(x)^2)

b=((a-d)*cos(x)*sin(x))/(sin(x)^2-cos(x)^2) d

(This is a square symmetric matrix )

In statistical program R i wrote a small script so as to validate the results

Code:
#test1

x=(pi)
a=7
d=1
b=((a-d)*cos(x)*sin(x))/(sin(x)^2-cos(x)^2)

l1=(a*sin(x)+b*cos(x))/sin(x)
l2=(a*cos(x)-b*sin(x))/cos(x)

A=matrix(c(a,b,b,d),2,2)
H=matrix(c(sin(x),cos(x),cos(x),-sin(x)),2,2)
L=matrix(c(l1,0,0,l2),2,2)
#it must be A*H=H*L where L is the diagonial matrix with lamda1 and lamda2 as l1 and l2 #respectively 

A%*%H
H%*%L

#here I get A from H*L*H^-1
H%*%L%*%ginv(H)
#here I get A from H*L*H^T
H%*%L%*%t(H)
A

Last edited:
I have one more but i ll post it in new thread !
P.S I m new here so posting the solution is good , isn't it ?

Related to Find the symmetric matrix from eigen vectors

1. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own transpose. This means that the elements of the matrix remain unchanged when the rows and columns are swapped.

2. What are eigen vectors?

Eigen vectors are special vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by a matrix. They are associated with specific eigenvalues, which represent the amount by which the vector is stretched or compressed when multiplied by the matrix.

3. Why is finding the symmetric matrix from eigen vectors important?

Finding the symmetric matrix from eigen vectors is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It allows for efficient computation of important properties of a matrix, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. How do you find the symmetric matrix from eigen vectors?

To find the symmetric matrix from eigen vectors, you need to first find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the original matrix. Then, you can use these eigenvalues and eigenvectors to construct the symmetric matrix by multiplying the eigenvectors by their corresponding eigenvalues and then multiplying by the transpose of the eigenvectors.

5. Can a matrix have more than one symmetric matrix from its eigen vectors?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple symmetric matrices from its eigen vectors. This is because there can be multiple sets of eigenvalues and eigenvectors that satisfy the conditions for creating a symmetric matrix. However, all of these symmetric matrices will have the same set of eigenvalues.