Find the square roots of a = root3 + root3*i

In summary: Ah. For some reason I thought that those were the square roots, not that each of those was a square root. Thanks for the help. My brain is still on vacation.
Shackleford
Member warned about not using the homework template
I don't recall ever doing this but maybe I have.

z2 = a = p [cos Ψ + i sin Ψ] = √3 + i*√3

p = √6
Ψ = π/4

Using the formula in the notes, z = 61/4 * exp[i*(π/4 + 2π*k)/2], k = 0, 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:
I don't recall ever doing this but maybe I have.

z2 = a = p [cos(psi) + i sin(psi)] = root3 + i*root3

p = root6
psi = pi/4

Using the formula in the notes, z = 61/4 * exp[i*(pi/4 + 2pi*k)/2], k = 0, 1.
Do you have a question?

Also, your problem would be much more readable if you used LaTeX or the symbols available from the Advanced Menu, under the ##\Sigma## icon; e.g., √, ψ, and π.

When I multiply it out, I get -a.

Shackleford said:
When I multiply it out, I get -a.
I don't. What do you get for the two roots of ##\sqrt{6}(cos(\pi/4) + i sin(\pi/4))##?

Note that in polar form, what you're calling a is (##\sqrt{6}, \pi/4##).

Mark44 said:
I don't. What do you get for the two roots of ##\sqrt{6}(cos(\pi/4) + i sin(\pi/4))##?

Note that in polar form, what you're calling a is (##\sqrt{6}, \pi/4##).

That's odd. I used my TI-89 to check my work, and it gave me -a. Maybe I had a typo.

Shackleford said:
That's odd. I used my TI-89 to check my work, and it gave me -a. Maybe I had a typo.
Possibly, or maybe it's in degree mode when it should be in radian mode.

Either way, this is an easy enough problem that a calculator shouldn't be needed. ##cos(\pi/4) = sin(\pi/4) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \approx .707##

Again, what did you get for the two roots?

Mark44 said:
Possibly, or maybe it's in degree mode when it should be in radian mode.

Either way, this is an easy enough problem that a calculator shouldn't be needed. ##cos(\pi/4) = sin(\pi/4) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \approx .707##

Again, what did you get for the two roots?

From the original post, z2 = {61/4*ei*9π/8, 61/4*ei*π/8}

Shackleford said:
From the original post, z2 = {61/4*ei*9π/8, 61/4*ei*π/8}
There's your mistake. Those are the correct roots of the equation z2 = ##\sqrt{6}(cos (\pi/4) + i sin (\pi/4))##, but they are values of z, not z2.

If you square each of them, you get ##\sqrt{6}(cos (\pi/4) + i sin (\pi/4))##.

Mark44 said:
There's your mistake. Those are the correct roots of the equation z2 = ##\sqrt{6}(cos (\pi/4) + i sin (\pi/4))##, but they are values of z, not z2.

If you square each of them, you get ##\sqrt{6}(cos (\pi/4) + i sin (\pi/4))##.

Ah. For some reason I thought that those were the square roots, not that each of those was a square root. Thanks for the help. My brain is still on vacation. Haha.

Related to Find the square roots of a = root3 + root3*i

1. What is the formula for finding the square roots of a complex number?

The formula for finding the square roots of a complex number is √(a + bi) = ±√((√(a^2+b^2)+a)/2) ± (b/2√(√(a^2+b^2)+a)).

2. How do you simplify the expression "root3 + root3*i"?

To simplify the expression "root3 + root3*i", we can use the fact that the square root of a negative number can be written as i times the square root of the positive version of that number. In this case, "root3" can be written as √3, so the simplified version of the expression is √3 + i√3, or (√3 + i)√3.

3. Can the square roots of a complex number be imaginary?

Yes, the square roots of a complex number can be imaginary. In fact, if the number is negative, the square roots will always be imaginary.

4. What is the difference between the principal square root and the other square root of a complex number?

The principal square root of a complex number is the positive square root, while the other square root is the negative square root. In other words, the principal square root is the one with the positive sign in front of it, while the other square root has a negative sign in front of it.

5. How can I check if my answer for the square roots of a complex number is correct?

To check if your answer for the square roots of a complex number is correct, you can square both the principal and other square roots and see if they equal the original complex number. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the complex number and its square roots to visually confirm the solution.