First quarter of college physics

In summary: This site is a great resource! It's a bit dated now, but it's a great place to start. You could also check out resources like The Physics Classroom Companion by Michael Nielsen, which is a more up-to-date resource. Nielsen is a great teacher and I think you would enjoy his book.
beginner
I just took my first quarter of college physics and it made my head spin! I ended up with a C+ in the class and this is only my 2nd C ever. I'm not a genius so I study a lot and enjoy learning.

Now, I really want to learn Physics and know that I need to do a lot more work than I did this past quarter to get a better grade. I'm willing to re-read all the previous chapters and re-do all the homework over this Christmas break so I can be better prepared for next quarter. We're using the 6th edition of fund. of physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. What do you guys think of this book? I haven't looked at any other physics book to make a comparison. Do you know of any other books or study guides that you think would be helpful? Some people suggested The portable TA by Andrew Elby and Schaum's Outline of Beg. Physics. Anyone have any feedback regarding these?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday & Resnick is, by all accounts, one of the best texts you can get. It's a great book! My advice: do lots and lots and LOTS of problems. You may find that are you are able to read the book very easily and follow along with everything they say -- but when it comes times to solve a problem, you still don't know what to do. The answer: try to solve lots of problems! There's no better way to learn than by doing. If you get stuck on a problem, just find another one that looks enticing. You can come back to the hard ones another time.

- Warren

Thx Warren! Yes, I'm able to follow and read the text but I get stuck when it comes to solving a problem. Doing lots of problems is my plan for these next 2.5 weeks. I'm thinking I may "see and understand" the concepts better if it was presented to me in different ways (as in different texts or study guides). Do you suggest a beginning Physics book as good as Halliday's?

What is the first quarter of college physics?

The first quarter of college physics typically refers to the first 10-12 weeks of a college-level introductory physics course. It covers basic concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

What topics are typically covered in the first quarter of college physics?

The topics covered in the first quarter of college physics can vary slightly depending on the specific course and institution, but typically include kinematics, forces, energy, and simple harmonic motion.

What are some common challenges students face in the first quarter of college physics?

Some common challenges students face in the first quarter of college physics include understanding and applying mathematical concepts, visualizing abstract concepts, and developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What resources are available to help students succeed in the first quarter of college physics?

There are many resources available to help students succeed in the first quarter of college physics. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and office hours with the professor.

How can students prepare for the first quarter of college physics?

To prepare for the first quarter of college physics, students can review basic algebra and trigonometry, familiarize themselves with the course syllabus and requirements, and start practicing problem-solving techniques.