Find the speed of the bird relative to the ground

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of spiral motion in birds of prey using uniform circular motion and a constant upward velocity. The homework problem asks for the speed and acceleration of the bird, as well as the angle between its velocity vector and the horizontal. The attempted solution uses the relative velocity equation, but produces an incorrect answer. The correct approach involves finding the horizontal component of the bird's velocity in addition to the vertical component.
devilsangels287

Homework Statement

It is common to see birds of prey rising upward on thermals. The paths they take may be spiral-like. You can model the spiral motion as uniform circular motion combined with a constant upward velocity. Assume a bird completes a circle of radius 8.00 every 5.00 and rises vertically at a rate of 3.00 .

Find the speed of the bird relative to the ground.
Find the magnitude of the bird's acceleration.
Find the direction of the bird's acceleration.
Find the angle between the bird's velocity vector and the horizontal.

Homework Equations

I used the relative velocity equation:

vector velocity = vector v' + Vector V

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in

vector velocity = 3 + (8/5) then I got the answer 4.6 m/s which is incorrect. I thought that this would be the right answer but its not.

So since this is wrong, the other parts wouldn't work either.

Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused by "speed of the bird relative to ground"... are they asking for the rate at which the height is changing (in this case the answer is just 3.00m/s)... or are they asking for the speed relative to a fixed position on the ground?

In the second case there are two components to the velocity... the vertical component and the horizontal component... The vertical component is 3.00m/s.

What is the horizontal component? it isn't 8/5... what is the circumference of a circle?

I have no idea what it is asking for? I tried the second case of your idea and it wasn't right also. Do you know if the equation that I used was correct?

Related to Find the speed of the bird relative to the ground

1. What is the meaning of "relative to the ground" in this context?

"Relative to the ground" means the speed of the bird in relation to the Earth's surface, without taking into consideration any external factors such as wind or other moving objects.

2. How can we measure the speed of a bird relative to the ground?

The speed of a bird relative to the ground can be measured by using a device such as a radar gun or a speedometer, which can calculate the bird's velocity by detecting its movement.

3. Does a bird's speed relative to the ground change depending on its direction of flight?

Yes, a bird's speed relative to the ground will vary depending on its direction of flight. For example, if a bird is flying against the wind, its speed relative to the ground will be slower than if it was flying with the wind.

4. Can we calculate the speed of a bird relative to the ground using its airspeed?

No, the airspeed of a bird does not necessarily reflect its speed relative to the ground. This is because the bird's airspeed is affected by external factors such as wind, while its speed relative to the ground is not.

5. Why is it important to know the speed of a bird relative to the ground?

Knowing the speed of a bird relative to the ground is important for various reasons. It can help us understand the bird's flight patterns, predict its movement, and also aid in tracking and monitoring bird populations for research and conservation purposes.