Find the speed of the batsman and direction he takes (vectors)

In summary, the fieldsman must run in a direction of 79.7° to retain the cricket ball at R. It will take him 2.72 seconds to reach the ball at that location.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

Hello, I havre problem here relevant to an image I will attach.

''A cricket ball hit by a batsman moves with a speed of 6m/s along a straight line path PQRS, as shown in the diagram. When the ball is at R, a fieldsman starts to run in a straight line from T with a speed of 10m/s.
Given that QRT = 25° and RT = 15m, determine by calculation or by drawing:
(a) the direction in which the fieldsman must run in order to retain the ball.
(b)the time he would take to reach the ball at s.

Homework Equations

V=distance/time

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea on this one I'm afraid.
The answer for part (a) in the backof the book is ''Bearing =79.7° ''

For (b), I drew a perpendicular line to QT. I then found angle RTQ which is 65°, then i worked out the angle from the perpendicular I drew by doing 90°-65° = 25°
From here i used the alternate angle rule to find angles RTS and RST which are 25°.

Then I found angle TRS which is 130° then used the sine rule to find side TS which I got to be 27.2 approx, then divided by 10 to find his speed, for which i got 2.72m/s.

Unfortunately that is also the wrong answer.

Attachments

• IMG-20180119-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20180119-WA0004.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
no idea
Standatd approach: create a variable for the unknown you wish to find and see what equations you can write. Some promising equations may involve other unknowns, such as the distance RS here. So create a variable for that and try to find a second equation involving it.

Likes Richie Smash and Simon Bridge
I have figured it out, side RS was a vector itself of which I can find the angle necessary to give me a bearing of S from T to find the direction, and I can also use that same triangle with it's angle to fins the length of TS and then subsequently divide to find the time taken.

Richie Smash said:
I have figured it out, side RS was a vector itself of which I can find the angle necessary to give me a bearing of S from T to find the direction, and I can also use that same triangle with it's angle to fins the length of TS and then subsequently divide to find the time taken.
Well done.

Related to Find the speed of the batsman and direction he takes (vectors)

1. What is meant by "Find the speed of the batsman and direction he takes (vectors)"?

The phrase "Find the speed of the batsman and direction he takes (vectors)" refers to using mathematical concepts of vectors to determine the magnitude and direction of the motion of a batsman in a cricket game.

2. How do you calculate the speed of the batsman using vectors?

To calculate the speed of the batsman using vectors, you need to measure the distance the batsman has covered in a specific amount of time and divide it by that time. This gives you the average speed. Then, you need to consider the direction of the motion and use vector addition to find the resultant speed.

3. Why is it important to find the speed and direction of the batsman using vectors?

Knowing the speed and direction of the batsman using vectors can help in analyzing their performance, predicting their future movements, and making strategic decisions in the game. It also provides a more accurate representation of the batsman's motion compared to just measuring their speed in a straight line.

4. What factors can affect the speed and direction of the batsman in a cricket game?

The speed and direction of the batsman can be influenced by various factors such as the type of pitch, the type of bowler, the type of shot played, the weather conditions, and the physical abilities of the batsman.

5. Are there any limitations to using vectors to determine the speed and direction of the batsman in a cricket game?

Yes, there are limitations to using vectors to determine the speed and direction of the batsman. These include human error in measuring distances and time, variations in the batsman's speed and direction throughout the game, and the assumption that the batsman's motion is linear and not affected by external forces.