Find the Solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions

• Thread starter Hannisch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, to calculate arccot(1/cot(π/5)), we can use the fact that arccot(1/cotx) = arccot(tanx), and since tanx = cot(90-x), we can substitute 90-x for x, giving us arccot(tan(π/5)), which simplifies to arccot(cot(3π/10)). This simplifies further to 3π/10, giving us a final answer of 3π/10.
Hannisch

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]arccot \left( \frac{1}{cot( \pi/5)} \right)[/tex] The answer may not contain any cyclometric functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone tell me where I went wrong? Cause I'm going insaaaane over this problem!

[tex]arccot \left( \frac{1}{cot( \pi/5)} \right)[/tex]

[tex]arccot(x) = \frac{arccos(x)}{arcsin(x)} = \frac{1}{arctan(x)} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{arctan\left( \frac{1}{cot( \pi/5)} \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{arctan\left( \frac{1}{ \frac{cos(\pi/5)}{sin(\pi/5)}} \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{arctan\left( \frac{sin(\pi/5)}{ cos(\pi/5)} \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{arctan\left(tan(\pi/5) \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\pi/5} = \frac{5}{\pi}[/tex]

And according to the practise test I'm doing, this is wrong.. help?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]{\rm arccot}(x) \ne \frac{\arccos(x)}{\arcsin(x)} [/tex]

Try drawing a triangle.

Ah that sucks.. why didn't my teacher say so? Is it true for arctan? cos I used arctanx = arcsinx / arccosx in class today (at the blackboard) and got the right answer and he didn't say anything?

Anyway, I solved the problem (thanks for that tip, I never think of using triangles!) by saying that arccot(1/cotx) = arccot(tanx), but tanx=cot(90-x), i.e. 3π/10. Thanks!

Actually, scratch that ^. I do get the right answer, but I didn't use that with tan, sorry.. I confused it, the other way around (tan(arccosx)= sin(arccosx)/cos(arccosx). My bad, weird/stressful day.

Hannisch said:
I solved the problem ... by saying that arccot(1/cotx) = arccot(tanx), but tanx=cot(90-x), i.e. 3π/10.
Correct! And as you've figured out, the ratios like tan=sin/cos apply to the trig functions, and not to their inverses.

Related to Find the Solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions

1. How do you find the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions?

To find the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions, first, we need to understand the basic trigonometric identities. We know that cot(pi/5) is equal to tan(pi/5). Therefore, 1/cot(pi/5) is equal to 1/tan(pi/5). Using the reciprocal property of tangent, we can rewrite tan(pi/5) as cot(pi/5). This gives us cot(cot(pi/5)). Now, using the inverse property of cotangent, we can rewrite this as arccot(cot(pi/5)). And since arccot and cot are inverse functions, they cancel out, leaving us with the solution of pi/5.

2. Can you explain the concept of Cyclometric Functions?

Cyclometric Functions, also known as circular functions, are mathematical functions that involve the measurement of angles and the ratios of sides of a right triangle. These functions include sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cosecant (csc), secant (sec), and cotangent (cot). They are used to solve trigonometric equations and problems involving triangles and circular motion.

3. Why do we need to find the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions?

In some cases, it may be necessary to find the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without using Cyclometric Functions. This could be due to limitations in certain software or calculators, or it could be part of a larger problem that requires a specific method or approach.

4. What is the significance of pi/5 in the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions?

The value of pi/5 in the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions is significant because it represents the angle measurement in radians of 36 degrees, which is equivalent to the interior angle of a regular pentagon. It is also a special angle that has a simple exact value in trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any other methods to find the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions?

Yes, there are other methods to find the solution for arccot(1/cot(pi/5)) without Cyclometric Functions. One method is to use the unit circle and the properties of right triangles to determine the angle measurement. Another method is to use the inverse property of cotangent and simplify the expression to find the angle measurement.