Can Matrix Analysis Simplify Linear and Non-Linear Systems?

In summary, the individual is having trouble with matrix analysis and has therefore avoided using it, even though it could be a useful shortcut. They primarily work in physics but math is integral to their work, and they feel that their math skills are limited. They are looking for suggestions on how to improve their understanding and application of matrix analysis.
r637h
I don't have a problem with drawing up matrices for system solutions, but I'm often puzzled by the answers.

I therefore have avoided matrix analysis, even though it obviously, in a given case, would make a very nice short-cut.
(Especially with computers: Other modalities can be technically more difficult to set up, even with, say, Mathematica).

I'm primarily in "Physics," but math is ,of course, integral. My math has always been crippled via the above.

Any "solutions" suggested?

Thanks, Rudy

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by r637h
I'm often puzzled by the answers.

r637h,
can you please give an example? Maybe I can then tell what puzzles you.

Arcnets:

Many, many thanks.

I'll try to set one up, but I'm not sure I can transmit the equations to this particular modality (miserable failure of copy prior occasions)

Please give me a little time.

I very much appreciate your answer. Rudy

OK. Take your time...

What is the difference between linear and non-linear systems?

Linear systems have a proportional relationship between the input and output, meaning the output changes by a constant rate when the input changes. Non-linear systems have a non-proportional relationship between the input and output, meaning the output does not change at a constant rate when the input changes.

What are some examples of linear and non-linear systems?

Linear systems include simple pendulums, springs, and resistors in electrical circuits. Non-linear systems include chaotic systems, such as weather patterns, and biological systems, such as the growth of a population.

How are linear and non-linear systems represented mathematically?

Linear systems are represented by linear equations, where the variables are raised to the first power. Non-linear systems are represented by non-linear equations, where the variables are raised to a power other than one.

What is the importance of understanding linear and non-linear systems?

Understanding linear and non-linear systems is crucial in various fields, including engineering, physics, biology, and economics. It allows for the prediction and analysis of real-world phenomena and the development of models and solutions to complex problems.

Can a system be both linear and non-linear?

No, a system can only be either linear or non-linear. However, some systems may exhibit linear behavior under certain conditions and non-linear behavior under others.