Calculate Mass of Sand Grains for Equivalent Cube Surface Area - Physics Problem

• Thread starter rdn98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem asks for the mass of grains of sand whose surface area is equal to the surface area of a cube 1.1 meters on an edge. To find this mass, you first need to find the surface area of the cube (correctly) and the surface area of an individual sphere. Then, determine how many spheres it would take to have the same surface area as the cube. Finally, multiply the mass of each sphere by the number of spheres required.
rdn98
Ok, this is the problem.

Grains of fine sand are approximately sphere of an average radius of of 50 ìm are made of silicon dioxide. A solid cube of this material with a volume of 1m3 has a mass of 2600kg.

Question:
What mass of sand grains would have a total surface area (the total area of all the individual grains) equal to the surface area of a cube 1.1 meters on an edge?

Ok. I figured out the surface area of the cube by taking 1.1m*1.1m*1.1m*6= 7.986m^3

I figured out the surface area of a grain of sand by first converting micrometers into meters, and then plugging that number into the surface area forumula for a sphere.
SA of sphere= 4*pi*(50*10^-6m)^2= 3.14E-8.

Now, somehow the SA of a cube and SA of the grain are related, but I can't get the answer to be accepted by the online homework system. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably can't get the answer accepted by the online computer system because it isn't correct!

First of all, surface AREA is not measured in CUBIC meters- it is measured in square meters. You calculated the volume of the cube and then multiplied by 6 to get area? There are, indeed, 6 faces on a cube: each one is a square with edge length 1.1 m: the Area of such a square is ? That's what you want to multiply by 6.

The surface area of the cube and the surface are of the spheres (not just one) are related because the problem tells you they are to be the same! The problem asks for the mass the number of spheres whose surface area is the same as the surface area of the cube.

Once you have found the surface area of the cube (correctly) and the surface area of an individual sphere, determine HOW MANY spheres it would take to have the same surface area as the cube. You can also calculate the volume of each sphere and you are told the density (indirectly) so you can calculate the mass of each sphere. Finally, multiply the mass of each sphere by the number of spheres required.

thanks!

Thank you so much. Thank God I found this forum today! :)

1. What is the best approach to solving a physics problem?

The best approach to solving a physics problem is to first understand the concepts involved and then break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It's also important to draw diagrams and use equations to help visualize and organize the information. Practice and perseverance are key in mastering problem-solving skills in physics.

2. How do I know which equations to use in a physics problem?

In order to determine which equations to use, it's important to identify the given information and what needs to be solved for in the problem. From there, you can use the appropriate equations that relate the known and unknown variables. It's also helpful to have a strong understanding of the fundamental equations in physics and their applications.

3. Why do I keep getting the wrong answer in my calculations?

There are a few common reasons for getting the wrong answer in physics calculations. One is making a calculation error, such as using the wrong value or forgetting to convert units. Another is not using the correct number of significant figures. It's also possible that the problem may have multiple solutions, so it's important to check your answer to see if it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I improve my understanding and problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving your understanding and problem-solving skills in physics takes practice and patience. It's important to actively engage in class, ask questions, and seek help when needed. Additionally, working through a variety of problems and seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, can also help improve your skills.

5. What do I do if I don't understand a physics concept or problem?

If you don't understand a physics concept or problem, don't panic. It's important to first review the material and try to identify where your understanding may be lacking. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for clarification or seek out additional resources. Practice and persistence are key in mastering challenging concepts in physics.