Fluid flow through a cone equation ?

In summary, Joe is looking for formulas related to pressure, velocity, and area for designing a scoop for automotive purposes. Another user recommends the basic formula of ρ V A = constant, and suggests the book "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson for more in-depth information. The original user offers to go through the book and provide a summary, if needed.
clarky456
I'm in the process of designing a scoop used for automotive purposes. Anybody know some formulas pertaining to pressure, velocity and area dealing with scoops (Funnels, cones, etc)? Thanks for the help! Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic formula is:

ρ V A = constant

Where ρ is density, V is velocity of the flow, and A is the cross-sectional area.

"Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson provides a very in-depth look at flows through nozzles, diffusers and wind tunnels in Chapter 10, if you need more information (it's way more than I can easily go through here)

EDIT: On second thought, I could go through it... I just don't have time until the weekend. If no one else can fill you in before then, I'll write it up. PM me if I forget, please.

Last edited:
Hey, my library has a copy of the book reserved for me! Thank you for your help and willingness to do more. Off to communications class, Joe

1. What is the equation for fluid flow through a cone?

The equation for fluid flow through a cone is Q = (πr^4ΔP)/(8ηL) where Q is the flow rate, r is the radius of the cone, ΔP is the pressure difference, η is the fluid viscosity, and L is the length of the cone.

2. How is the cone angle related to fluid flow?

The cone angle does not directly affect the fluid flow rate, but it can impact the pressure difference and therefore the flow rate. A larger cone angle will result in a larger pressure difference and a higher flow rate, while a smaller cone angle will result in a smaller pressure difference and a lower flow rate.

3. What factors can affect the fluid flow through a cone?

The fluid viscosity, cone geometry (such as length and angle), and pressure difference are the main factors that can affect fluid flow through a cone. Other factors that may impact flow include temperature, surface roughness, and any obstructions or blockages in the flow path.

4. How can the fluid flow through a cone be optimized?

The flow rate through a cone can be optimized by adjusting the cone geometry, such as the cone angle and length, to minimize pressure losses. Additionally, using a fluid with a lower viscosity can also help increase the flow rate. Conducting experiments and simulations can also help determine the optimal conditions for fluid flow through a cone.

5. Is there a practical application for the fluid flow through a cone equation?

Yes, the fluid flow through a cone equation has various practical applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and chemical engineering. It can be used to calculate the flow rate of fluids through conical structures such as nozzles, filters, and heat exchangers. This information is critical for designing and optimizing these systems for efficient and effective operation.