Find the Second Resonant length of an air column

In summary, the task is to find the second resonant length of an air column that resonates at a frequency of 1.0 kHz and a temperature of 15.0 degrees Celsius. This can be done using the equations V_{s} = 332 m/s + T(0.59 m/s \circC), v = f\lambda, and l = \frac{n \lambda}{2}. The second resonant length is found to be 34.09 cm for both an air column closed at both ends and an air column open at both ends. This is because in both cases, the second resonant length is equal to the wavelength.
Spookie71

Homework Statement

Find the second resonant length of an air column that resonates with a sound of frequency 1.0 kHz at 15.0 degrees Celsius under each of the following conditions.

a) the air column is closed at both ends

b) the air column is open at both ends

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{s}[/tex] = 332 m/s + T(0.59 m/s [tex]\circ[/tex]C)

v = f[tex]\lambda[/tex] therefore [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{v}{f}[/tex]

l = [tex]\frac{n \lambda}{2}[/tex] therefore [tex]\frac{2l}{n}[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]

n = 2 for the second resonant length of an air column

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]V_{s}[/tex] = 332 m/s + T(0.59 m/s [tex]\circ[/tex]C)
332 m/s + 15(0.59 m/s)
= 340.85
-------------------------------------------------------------
v = f[tex]\lambda[/tex] therefore [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{v}{f}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{340.85 m/s}{1000 Hz}[/tex]
= 34.09 cm
-------------------------------------------------------------

[tex]\frac{2l}{n}[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2(34.09}{2}[/tex]
= 34.09

--------------------------------------------------------

The second Resonant length is 34.09 cm
I don't know how to calculate the difference between an air column open at both ends
and an air column closed at both ends. My textbook doesn't explain it clearly. I'm guessing that both types of columns have different answers but as it stands I got the same calculation for both types. Is there more to the equation that I'm missing or am I doing the whole calculation wrong.

Thanks
S

Physics news on Phys.org
In open air column open ends will be antinodes. So the second resonant length = wavelength. In closed air column closed ends will be nodes. So the second resonant length is also equal to wavelength.

Does that mean that both questions have the same answer?

Yes.

Related to Find the Second Resonant length of an air column

1. What is the purpose of finding the second resonant length of an air column?

The second resonant length of an air column refers to the distance between two consecutive anti-nodes in an open or closed air column. It is important to determine this length in order to accurately calculate the frequency of a sound wave produced by the column.

2. How is the second resonant length of an air column measured?

The second resonant length can be measured by using a tube with one end closed and the other open. The length of the tube can be adjusted until the resonant frequency is achieved, which can be detected by a change in the sound produced.

3. What factors affect the second resonant length of an air column?

The second resonant length of an air column is affected by several factors, including the length and diameter of the tube, the temperature and humidity of the air, and the speed of sound in the specific medium.

4. How can the second resonant length of an air column be used in practical applications?

The second resonant length of an air column is commonly used in musical instruments, such as wind instruments, to produce specific notes and tones. It is also used in acoustic engineering to design and optimize the acoustics of concert halls and other performance spaces.

5. Is it possible to find the second resonant length of an air column in a vacuum?

No, it is not possible to find the second resonant length of an air column in a vacuum because sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum. Air is necessary for the production and propagation of sound waves, so an air column must be present in order to determine its resonant length.