Find the scalar value and direction of the electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the scalar value and direction of the electric field at point C, which is located 5 cm from point A and 6 cm from point B. The equation used to find the direction (β) is β = cos^-1 ((EC^2 + EA^2-EB^2)/(2ECEA)), and the calculated angle is 42.65 degrees. The correct use of the cosine rule leads to a correct answer for the direction of the electric field.
HJKL

Homework Statement

Two charged balls are placed in point A and B and the distance between them is 9,54cm. Each of the balls are charged with 8,0 x 10^-8 C. Find the scalar value and direction of the electric field in point C placed 5 cm from A and 6 cm from B.

Homework Equations

Cosine Rule: a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2ab x cosθ
E = Ke x (q/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have calculated the electric field of A and B.
EA = 287680 N/C
EB = 199778 N/C

After that I used cosine rule to calculate EC and got EC = 255341 N/C. This is correct.

But when I try finding the direction I calculate the angle between EC and EA (β) like this:
β = cos^-1 ((EA^2 + EB^2-EC^2)/(2EAEB)) = 60 degrees

The solution says that I should calculate the angle between EC and EA (β), but that the equation looks like this:
β = cos^-1 ((EC^2 + EA^2-EB^2)/(2ECEA)) = 42,65 degrees

Why am I supposed to use that equation?

Attachments

• tempsnip.png
    tempsnip.png
    43 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
The wrong thing is your Cosine rule at the first line of your "relevant equation". Please check again :wink:

Oh! No, its not that. I just wrote it down wrong here:smile: I've used c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab * cosθ, and I get the first part right. I just don't get why I'm supposted to use this equation β = cos^-1 ((EC^2 + EA^2-EB^2)/(2EC EA)) to find the direction.

But...the answer in the solution is a correct answer, just compare to the Cosine rule :eek:
You wrote down the correct cosine rule, as above, but when you put ##E_{A}, E_{B}, E_{C}## into your calculation, I see that you put them in the wrong place

I was a bit confused about which angles goes with which side, but I get it now. Thank you!:smile:

Likes Nguyen Son
Hope this figure can help you :-p

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_224054.jpg
    IMG_20180526_224054.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 450
Likes HJKL

Related to Find the scalar value and direction of the electric field

What is the definition of electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity.

What is the formula for finding the scalar value of electric field?

The formula for the scalar value of electric field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on the charged particle, and q is the magnitude of the charged particle's charge.

How is the direction of electric field determined?

The direction of electric field is determined by the direction that a positive test charge would move when placed in the electric field. The direction of electric field is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

What are the units of electric field?

The units of electric field are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in SI units, or Volts per meter (V/m) in other unit systems.

How is the electric field related to the potential difference?

The electric field is directly related to the potential difference between two points. The magnitude of the electric field is equal to the potential difference divided by the distance between the two points, or E = V/d.