Find the Rotational Inertia of a Square Rigid Body

In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational inertia of a rigid body consisting of four identical particles at the vertices of a square, connected by four massless rods. The rotational inertia is to be calculated for three different axes: one passing through the midpoints of opposite sides and in the plane of the square, one passing through the midpoint of one side and perpendicular to the plane, and one passing through two diagonally opposite particles in the plane of the square. The formula for moment of inertia is used, with the distances r from the axis to each particle being determined by drawing a diagram of the square and axis. The solutions for each axis are 4ML^2/12, 2ML^2/12 + 2M(sq
VitaX

Homework Statement

Four identical particles of mass 0.717 kg each are placed at the vertices of a 3.11 m x 3.11 m square and held there by four massless rods, which form the sides of the square. What is the rotational inertia of this rigid body about an axis that (a) passes through the midpoints of opposite sides and lies in the plane of the square, (b) passes through the midpoint of one of the sides and is perpendicular to the plane of the square, and (c) lies in the plane of the square and passes through two diagonally opposite particles?

Homework Equations

I think I = 1/12M(a^2 + b^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to go about solving this, the way its worded is confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can give me a hint or something on how to do this?

VitaX said:

Homework Equations

I think I = 1/12M(a^2 + b^2)
That doesn't look right.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to go about solving this, the way its worded is confusing me.
Look up the moment of inertia for a point mass (particle) that is a distance r from the rotation axis.

I = mr^2

I thought I had to use I = Icom + Mh^2

The hard part for me is drawing these out and finding what r would be each part.

Last edited:
VitaX said:
I = mr^2

I thought I had to use I = Icom + Mh^2
You could use Icom + Mh2, but for a few point masses it's probably easiest to calculate ∑mr2 directly.

The hard part for me is drawing these out and finding what r would be each part.
I would start by simply drawing a square first. Then figure out where the axis is in relation to the square.

If the axis is perpendicular to the plane of the square, you can just draw a dot or "x" in the figure showing where it passes through the plane.

Redbelly98 said:
You could use Icom + Mh2, but for a few point masses it's probably easiest to calculate ∑mr2 directly.I would start by simply drawing a square first. Then figure out where the axis is in relation to the square.

If the axis is perpendicular to the plane of the square, you can just draw a dot or "x" in the figure showing where it passes through the plane.

I understand that part a is just I=4M(L/2)^2

Part b is giving me trouble but I think it is I = 2M(L/2)^2 + 2M(sqroot((L/2)^2 + L^2))^2

Part c is 2M(sqroot((L/2)^2 + (L/2)^2))^2 which goes down to ML^2 which is same as part a

Related to Find the Rotational Inertia of a Square Rigid Body

1. What is rotational inertia and why is it important?

Rotational inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important because it affects how an object behaves when rotating, such as its stability and how easily it can change its rotational speed.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

Rotational inertia and mass are related but different concepts. Mass refers to an object's amount of matter, while rotational inertia takes into account the distribution of that mass and how it affects an object's rotational motion.

3. How do you calculate rotational inertia?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the object's axis of rotation to the point where the mass is located. The units for rotational inertia are kg*m^2.

4. What factors affect the rotational inertia of an object?

The main factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object and the distribution of that mass. Objects with more mass and/or mass distributed further from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia.

5. How does understanding rotational inertia help in practical applications?

Understanding rotational inertia is important in various practical applications, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can help in designing structures, calculating the stability of rotating objects, and predicting the motion of objects in different scenarios.