Find the rest mass M. of the composite particle

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the rest mass M of a composite particle after two particles have stuck together. The solution involves using the conservation laws of energy and momentum, as well as the equation E²=(pc)²+(mc²)² to find the momentum of one of the particles. The answer is (17)^1/2(m.).
byerly100
A particle of rest mass m. and kinetic energy 2m.c^2 strikes and sticks to a stationary particle of rest mass 2m.. Find the rest mass M. of the composite particle. (.=zero subscript)

The answer is (17)^1/2(m.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for addition of speed ? The speed in S is the speed in S' "plus" the speed of S' (where the "" around "plus" refers to the law of speed "addition" that is not as simple as the "+" operation in galilean relativity)

Yeah, except this as seen in S' of an object moving in S at speed ux. To find the inverse formula, just change all the velocities signs:

[tex]u_x = \frac{u_x'+v}{1+\frac{vu_x'}{c}}[/tex]

You know v and you know ux'. Plug and chug away!

byerly100 said:
Also:
A particle of rest mass m. and kinetic energy 2m.c^2 strikes and sticks to a stationary particle of rest mass 2m.. Find the rest mass M. of the composite particle. (.=zero subscript)

The answer is (17)^1/2(m.)

This a "conservation law" question. You know that the total energy is conserved and that the total momentum is conserved.

tip: use Einstein equation E²=(pc)²+(mc²)² to find the momentum instead of toying with the gammas to retrieve v.

Since you destroyed the OP, I'm guessing you're no longer interested in getting help.

Write what the initial energy is:

[itex]E_i[/itex] = sum of rest energy of all particles + sum of kinetic energy of all particle. You have all the ingredients in the question to write this out.

After the particles have stuck together and form one chunck of matter of mass M_0, the total energy is

[tex]E_f^2 = p_f^2c^2+M_0^2c^4[/tex]

But by conservation of energy, you know that [itex]E_f[/itex] must equal [itex]E_i[/itex]. So you can combine the two equations of energy to find one equation in two unknowns: M_0 and p_f. All you need to know then, is to find p_i, since by conservation of momentum, p_f must equal p_i.

Not me. Show me how you got that answer.

The equation E²=(pc)²+(mc²)² works for one particle only. It says that the energy of a particle of mass m and momentum p is [itex]\sqrt{(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2}[/itex]. It does not say that the energy of a system of two particles is [itex]\sqrt{(p_1c+p_2c)^2+(m_1c^2+m_2c^2)^2}[/itex]. If you want the energy of a system of two particles, you got to add the individual energies of each particles: [itex]E_1+E_2=\sqrt{(p_1c)^2+(m_1c^2)^2}+\sqrt{(p_2c)^2+(m_2c^2)^2}[/itex].

But for this problem, you only need to use E²=(pc)²+(mc²)².

Last edited:
I explained how you misinterpreted the Einstein equation and how it should be interpreted, namlely, that E²=(pc)²+(mc²)² related the energy of one particle to its momentum and mass. In your problem, there is only one particle that has a momentum (the other is at rest), so you only need to apply E²=(pc)²+(mc²)² on the particle that has a momentum and solve for p.

Why are you deleting your posts? Suppose what I'm telling you is wrong and you're right. Then no one can follow the unfolding of our discussion to point out that I'm wrong and you're right.

I got the answer.

Last edited:

Related to Find the rest mass M. of the composite particle

1. What is the definition of rest mass in particle physics?

The rest mass of a particle is the mass of the particle when it is at rest, meaning it is not moving. It is also known as the invariant mass and is a fundamental property of a particle.

2. How is the rest mass of a composite particle calculated?

The rest mass of a composite particle can be calculated by adding together the masses of its individual components. This can be done using the equation M = m1 + m2 + ... + mn, where M is the rest mass of the composite particle and m1 to mn are the masses of its individual components.

3. What units are used to measure rest mass?

The rest mass of a particle is typically measured in units of kilograms (kg) or electron volts (eV). In the field of particle physics, the rest mass is often expressed in terms of energy using Einstein's famous equation E = mc2, where E is energy, m is rest mass, and c is the speed of light.

4. Is the rest mass of a composite particle always equal to the sum of its components?

In some cases, the rest mass of a composite particle may not be equal to the sum of its components. This is because the rest mass of a particle is not simply the sum of the masses of its individual components, but also takes into account the interactions between these components.

5. How does the concept of rest mass relate to the mass of a particle in motion?

The rest mass of a particle is an intrinsic property of the particle and remains constant regardless of its motion. However, when a particle is in motion, its total mass increases due to the effects of relativity. This is known as the relativistic mass and is given by the equation mr = m0 / √(1 - v2/c2), where mr is the relativistic mass, m0 is the rest mass, v is the velocity of the particle, and c is the speed of light.