Find the resistance to produce a specified potential drop

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the necessary resistance to achieve a 12V potential drop from point A to B. After attempting to solve the problem and encountering negative resistance values, the individuals clarify the terminology and equations used in solving the problem. The final answer is determined to be 3 ohms.
Vladi

Homework Statement

In Fig. 26-5, how large must R be if the potential drop from A to B is 12 V?
(The figure has been pasted into the attached file).
The answer to this problem is 3.0 ohms. I keep trying to solve this problem but I get a wrong answer. The answer I get from my calculations does not make sense. How can resistance be negative? Any help is appreciated.

Homework Equations

-R=V/I-->V=(R)(I)

The Attempt at a Solution

2nd forum post.jpg
[/B]
My attempt has been attached to this post. The signs that are used within my calculations were determined by the bullet points.

Physics news on Phys.org
resistor chain.png

The diagram shows that the current flowing into this series connected line of components is 3 A and you are also told that the total potential drop from A to B is 12 V .

Start by working out the potential drop across the 2 Ohm resistance . What do you think that is ?

Last edited:
Likes Vladi and CWatters
As I stated with the bullet points, the potential drop across a resistor is always negative. Thus, the potential drop across the 2 Ohm resistor must be -6 volts. This must also mean that the potential drop across the resistor R is -R*3. The wider side of a battery is positive. The shorter side of a battery is negative. If I move from negative to positive across a battery, the potential drop is positive. If I move from positive to negative, the potential drop is negative. The current determines which direction I should be calculating. In this case, it is left to right.
Using the logic stated above, I came up with the following:
12V=-6.0V-(2.0 Ohms)(3.0 A)+9.0V-(R)(3.0A)

Vladi said:
the potential drop across the 2 Ohm resistor must be -6 volts
Not sure if you mean that. If the "drop" is -6V that would mean the potential goes up by 6V as the current passes through it.
The potential drops 6V across the first battery, another 6 through the first resistor, then rises 9V across the second battery.

Likes Vladi
haruspex said:
Not sure if you mean that. If the "drop" is -6V that would mean the potential goes up by 6V as the current passes through it.
The potential drops 6V across the first battery, another 6 through the first resistor, then rises 9V across the second battery.
You're right. If you are saying drop, that means you are subtracting voltage. If you are rising, that means you are adding. Saying there is a potential drop of -6 volts is redundant and confusing.

Vladi said:
You're right. If you are saying there is a potential drop, that means you are subtracting voltage. If you are saying there is a potential rise, that means you are adding voltage. Saying there is a potential drop of -6 volts is redundant and confusing. There is always a potential drop across a resistor. If you are going from a short end of a battery to a long end, there is a POTENTIAL rise. If you are going from a long end of a battery to a short end, there is a POTENTIAL drop. I'm still adjusting myself to the terms. Thanks for the clarification. Are my calculations incorrect? If so, what is it? Thank you for your time.

Vladi said:
You're right. If you are saying drop, that means you are subtracting voltage. If you are rising, that means you are adding. Saying there is a potential drop of -6 volts is redundant and confusing.
Do you see that this confusion has led to sign errors in your calculation?
Look at the second sentence in my post #4. Can you continue in that style through the remaining components? Can you then turn that into a voltage equation with the right signs?

Likes Vladi
haruspex said:
Do you see that this confusion has led to sign errors in your calculation?
Look at the second sentence in my post #4. Can you continue in that style through the remaining components? Can you then turn that into a voltage equation with the right signs?
The voltage equation that I posted before has one mistake. Because the question asks how large R must be for the potential drop to be 12 volts from a to b, this implies that the 12 volts is negative within the equation!
-12V=-6.0V-(2.0 Ohms)(3.0 A)+9.0V-(R)(3.0A)
-->R=3 ohms
Thank you for you help! This problem has helped me solidify some of the new terminology.

Related to Find the resistance to produce a specified potential drop

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or device impedes the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is influenced by factors such as the material's conductivity and its physical dimensions.

2. How is resistance related to potential drop?

According to Ohm's Law, resistance is directly proportional to potential drop, meaning that as resistance increases, potential drop also increases. This means that to produce a specific potential drop, the resistance must be adjusted accordingly.

3. What factors affect the resistance needed to produce a specified potential drop?

The main factors that affect the resistance needed to produce a specified potential drop are the strength of the applied voltage, the properties of the material being used, and the dimensions of the material or device. In general, materials with higher resistance will require a larger voltage to produce a specific potential drop.

4. How do you calculate the resistance needed for a specified potential drop?

The resistance needed for a specified potential drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law: R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the potential drop in volts, and I is the current in amperes. Alternatively, the resistance can also be calculated using the equation R = ρ*L/A, where ρ is the material's resistivity, L is the length of the material, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the resistance for a specified potential drop?

One practical application of finding the resistance for a specified potential drop is in designing and building electrical circuits. By knowing the resistance needed, engineers and scientists can select the appropriate materials and dimensions for components in the circuit. Another application is in measuring the electrical properties of materials, such as their resistivity, by applying a known voltage and measuring the resulting potential drop.