Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Find the real roots of an equation.

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Hello to all members of the forum,

Problem:
Find the real roots of the equation

$\displaystyle x^3+2ax+\frac{1}{16}=-a+\sqrt{a^2+x-\frac{1}{16}}\;\;\; (0<a<\frac{1}{4}) $

I really have no idea on how to even start to work with this problem, could anyone please help me?

Thanks.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012

Problem:

$\displaystyle x^3+2ax+\frac{1}{16}=-a+\sqrt{a^2+x-\frac{1}{16}}\;\;\; (0<a<\frac{1}{4}) $

I really have no idea on how to even start to work with this problem, could anyone please help me?

Thanks.
You should probably start with

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} x^3 + 2ax + \frac{1}{16} &= -a + \sqrt{a^2 + x - \frac{1}{16} } \\ x^3 + 2ax + \frac{1}{16} + a &= \sqrt{a^2 + x - \frac{1}{16}} \\ \left( x^3 + 2ax + \frac{1}{16} + a \right)^2 &= a^2 + x - \frac{1}{16} \end{align*}$

Now expand everything, and try to solve the resulting 6th order polynomial equation if possible...

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Problem:

Hello anemone,

Could you provide the source and/or context? Is it necessary a closed form solution?

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
A little story: yesterday I spend two hours tryng to solve the problem without success, so I had a suspection. Browsing on the net I saw the solution in a pdf. There is a typo, in the left side the first term is $x^2$ instead of $x^3$. Have a look at the following link

http://www.fernandorevilla.es/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/olympiad.pdf

There are at least two ways of solving the problem. The first way (I tried in the same way with $x^3$) using a graphical method, the second one using an horrible method. Ask your doubts.

zzephod

Feb 3, 2013

Problem:

$\displaystyle x^2+2ax+\frac{1}{16}=-a+\sqrt{a^2+x-\frac{1}{16}}\;\;\; (0<a<\frac{1}{4}) $

Thanks.
Using Fernando Revilla's correction to the problem, and hoping my algebra is working properly today:

... forget it, it does not work ..

Last edited:

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012