Find the ratio of two line segments in a triangle

In summary, a triangle ABC with point D on the line segment AB in a ratio of 2:1 and point E on the line segment BC in a ratio of 1:4, intersecting at point F on the line segments AE and DC. The task is to find the ratio of line segments AF:FE. Multiple attempts were made to solve the problem using vectors and base vectors, but eventually the law of sines was used to solve the problem in about 10-15 minutes.
Andraz Cepic
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
Triangle ABC has a point D on the line segment AB which cuts the segment in ratio AD : DB = 2 : 1.
Another point E is on the line segment BC, cutting it in ratio BE : EC = 1 : 4.
Point F is the intersection of the line segments AE and DC.
Given this data find the ratio of line segments AF : FE.

Homework Equations

Vectors, ratios, triangle,...

The Attempt at a Solution

Studying for a high school final exam, I stumbled upon this task. I tried for an hour but could not solve it. Normally I would work hard until I solved the thing, but the exam is tomorrow, so I don't have the time to play around as I have to do other things.

Firstly, I tried to write AF and FE as vectors. Then I wrote them as linear combinations of vector AE, so that
AF = m*AE and
FE = n*AE,
or AF + FE = AE,
or AF + FE = (m+n)AE, it follows that m+n = 1.

I wrote the ratio as |AF| / |FE| = m / n.
And then as |AF| / |FE| = 1/n - 1.(Since m = 1-n. Wrote this just to see if I can find n somehow)
Now I tried to express the two vectors with base vectors, for which I chose AB and BC, however, I could never find a connection where variables would cancel out to get the ratio, always I got too many variables, or I tried to express AE with base vectors and then somehow find either n or m, but was always just going in circles.

So I have no idea what to do right now and I am sure I could solve it after playing around long enough, but I really want to understand this before the exam. I am sorry If it seems as if I didn't even try but I am so desperate to know since this is the only task in linear algebra that I could not solve. I am probably just missing sth BIG.

Thanks in advance for all answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I successfully solved it. I applied the law of sines about a half dozen times(editing: I rewrote the solution, and did a count, and it turned out I used the law of sines a total of 5 times=5 separate equations) and also used the fact that ## \sin(180-\theta)=\sin(\theta) ## for the angle at AFC and the angle at CFE. It took a couple of algebraic substitutions (e.g. dividing one equation by the other, etc.), but I think I got the correct answer in about 10-15 minutes. In any case, an interesting problem. :)

Last edited:

Related to Find the ratio of two line segments in a triangle

1. What is the formula for finding the ratio of two line segments in a triangle?

The formula for finding the ratio of two line segments in a triangle is to divide the length of one line segment by the length of the other line segment.

2. How do I determine which line segments to use when finding the ratio in a triangle?

You can choose any two line segments in the triangle to find the ratio. However, it is important to make sure the two line segments you choose are intersecting or adjacent to each other.

3. Can the ratio of two line segments in a triangle be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of two line segments in a triangle can be greater than 1. This means that the length of one line segment is greater than the length of the other line segment.

4. Is there a specific unit that should be used when finding the ratio of line segments in a triangle?

No, there is no specific unit that should be used when finding the ratio of line segments in a triangle. As long as the same unit is used for both line segments, the ratio will be accurate.

5. How can finding the ratio of two line segments in a triangle be useful in real life applications?

Finding the ratio of two line segments in a triangle can be useful in many real life applications, such as architecture, engineering, and map making. It can also be used to determine the scale of a drawing or model of a triangle.