Find the ratio of the electrostatic force

In summary, the problem asks to determine the ratio of the electrostatic force to the gravitational force between a proton and an electron, with given masses. It is assumed that the reader is familiar with Coulomb's and Newton's laws and the value of the elemental charge.
atoreta88
This is the problem:
"Determine the ratio of the electrostatic force to the gravitational force between a proton and an electron, FE/FG. Furthermore, note the mass of an electron is 9.109 x 10^-31 kg and the mass of a proton is 1.672x10^-27 kg.G and K are constants."

I'm not exactly sure what formulas to use and what to plug in. thanks for the help! ^_^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you only need to use two formulas. What is Coulomb's law for the force between two charges? And what is Newton's law for the force of gravity between two masses? I suppose they ought've taught you that, otherwise you wouldn't be given a problem like this.
Also, the problem should state that the elemental charge is 1.6*10^-19C.

Tusike said:
Also, the problem should state that the elemental charge is 1.6*10^-19C.
I would say that the textbook should state this somewhere, in which case it's not necessary to state it in every problem that involves protons or electrons. Sometimes a student is expected to look things up. Quite likely, the value is given in the inside front or back cover, as well as somewhere in the chapter this problem came from.

I would say that the textbook should state this somewhere, in which case it's not necessary to state it in every problem that involves protons or electrons. Sometimes a student is expected to look things up. Quite likely, the value is given in the inside front or back cover, as well as somewhere in the chapter this problem came from.

Well, it gave the mass of the proton and electron... I just thought that the elemental charge falls in the same category as those do, but I might be wrong. What you said can be applied to the masses as well, a student should be able to look them up too.

Good point.

Related to Find the ratio of the electrostatic force

1. What is the formula for calculating the electrostatic force ratio?

The formula for calculating the electrostatic force ratio is F = k(q1q2)/r², where F is the electrostatic force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electrostatic force?

The direction of the electrostatic force is determined by the charges of the two objects. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic force ratio?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic force ratio is Newtons (N).

4. Can the electrostatic force ratio be negative?

Yes, the electrostatic force ratio can be negative if the two objects have opposite charges, resulting in an attractive force. It will be positive if the objects have like charges, resulting in a repulsive force.

5. How does the distance between two objects affect the electrostatic force ratio?

The electrostatic force ratio is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the electrostatic force decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.