Find the ratio of lines in a circle

In summary, the altitude of $\triangle{BCD}$ is $1$, and the lengths of $\overline{CD}$ and $\overline{BC}$ are $0.5$ and $0.7$, respectively.
mitaka90
I have no idea how to solve this problem.
ABCD is just an irregular Quadrilateral so nothing too special with that figure.
We are looking for the ratio BC:CD and we only have that two angles. I know that the answer is 1:√2, but I have no idea how to find it.

Attachments

• mathproblem.png
    mathproblem.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 55
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mitaka90 said:
I have no idea how to solve this problem.
ABCD is just an irregular Quadrilateral so nothing too special with that figure.
We are looking for the ratio BC:CD and we only have that two angles. I know that the answer is 1:√2, but I have no idea how to find it.

Hi mitaka90! Welcome to MHB! ;)

We are looking at an inscribed or chordic quadrilateral.
Its associated proposition states that its opposite angles sum up to $180^\circ$.
So we have:
$$\angle B + \angle D = 180^\circ \quad \Rightarrow \quad \angle D = 180^\circ - \angle B \tag 1$$

Furthermore, according to the Law of Sines, we have:
$$\frac{BC}{\sin 30^\circ} = \frac{AC}{\sin \angle B} \tag 2$$
respectively:
$$\frac{CD}{\sin 45^\circ} = \frac{AC}{\sin \angle D} \tag 3$$

Combining (1) and (3) gives:
$$\frac{CD}{\sin 45^\circ} = \frac{AC}{\sin(180^\circ - \angle B)} = \frac{AC}{\sin \angle B} \tag 4$$

See what comes next?

Yep, pretty straight forward from here. I can't believe how I couldn't work out that there would be some trigonometric functions stuff going on, specifically law of sines, because of the square root in the answer and the angles in the actual problem, lol. Thanks a lot! :) Btw, feel free to delete my first post if you can. I don't know why I've posted two times.

By the inscribed angle theorem, $\angle{CDB}=30^\circ$ and $\angle{CBD}=45^\circ$.

Construct the altitude of $\triangle{BCD}$ from $C$ to $\overline{BD}$ and, without a loss of generality, assign it a length of $1$ unit. Now it's easy to determine the (resulting) lengths of $\overline{CD}$ and $\overline{BC}$ and to compute the required ratio.

Related to Find the ratio of lines in a circle

What is the formula for finding the ratio of lines in a circle?

The formula for finding the ratio of lines in a circle is π/180, where π represents the value of pi and 180 represents the total number of degrees in a circle.

How does finding the ratio of lines in a circle help in scientific research?

Finding the ratio of lines in a circle is useful in various scientific fields, such as geometry, astronomy, and physics. It allows researchers to calculate the angle measurements of different points on a circle, which can be used to study the movement of celestial bodies, the properties of shapes, and the behavior of light.

What is the significance of the ratio of lines in a circle in architecture and engineering?

The ratio of lines in a circle, also known as the radian measure, is essential in architecture and engineering as it helps in designing and constructing circular structures, such as bridges and arches. It also aids in calculating the curvature of roads and determining the size of circular objects.

Can the ratio of lines in a circle be used to find the circumference and area of a circle?

Yes, the ratio of lines in a circle can be used to find the circumference and area of a circle. By multiplying the ratio by the radius of the circle, we can calculate the circumference. Similarly, by squaring the ratio and multiplying it by the square of the radius, we can determine the area of the circle.

Is there a specific unit for measuring the ratio of lines in a circle?

The ratio of lines in a circle is a dimensionless quantity, meaning it has no specific unit of measurement. It is represented by a number or fraction, such as π/2 or 1/4, and is used to compare the length of an arc to the radius of a circle.