Find the potential fucntion, phi

In summary, the vector field F given by F(x, y, z) = yz \hat{i} + xz \hat{j} + (xy + 3z^{2})\hat{k} is conservative, but it is impossible to find a function u that depends only on z and not on x.
Smazmbazm

Homework Statement

Consider the vector field given by

[itex]F(x, y, z) = yz \hat{i} + xz \hat{j} + (xy + 3z^{2})\hat{k}[/itex]

a. Calculate ∇xF and show that F is a conservative field. Done, result = <0,0,0> which implies the vector field is conservative.

b. The way we were taught this is to set

[itex]
∂\phi /∂x = yz, \\
∂\phi /∂y = xz, \\
∂\phi /∂z = xy + 3z^{2}
[/itex]

Then find the integrals of all 3 equations to get,

[itex]
\phi = xyz + C_{x},\\
\phi = xyz + C_{y},\\
\phi = xyz + z^{3} + C{z}
[/itex]

Finally, look for similar features and construct [itex]\phi[/itex] like so

[itex]\phi = xyz + x^{3} + C[/itex]

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that really how you were taught? It will work but that "look for similar features" looks ambiguous to me.
In fact, in this particular problem, it is impossible to find such a [itex]\phi[/itex]. It simply cannot exist.
Recall that (for "nice" functions, having continuous second derivatives as this does) the order of differentiation in mixed derivatives is irrelevant. That is [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z}\right)= \frac{\partial}{\partial z}\left(\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]
But if [tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}= yz[/tex] then [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\left(\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\right)= y[/tex] while if [tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}= xy+ 3x^2[/tex] then
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z}\right)= y+ 6x[/tex].

Those are NOT the same so this is impossible. If that "[itex]3x^2[/itex]" in the derivative with respect to z were "[itex]3z^2[/itex]" then it would be possible.

Here's how I would do it.

From [itex]\dfrac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}= yz[/itex], yes we have [itex]\phi(x,y,z)= xyz+ u(y, z)[/itex] where u(y,z) (your "[itex]C_x[/itex]") is a function of y and z only (constant with respect to x). Differentiating that with respect to y we have
[tex]\dfrac{\partial\phi}{\partial y}= xz+ \dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

But we are told that [itex]\dfrac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}= xz[/itex] so we must have [itex]xz+ \dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}= xz[/itex]. The "xz" terms cancel leaving [itex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}= 0[/itex] so that u does NOT, in fact, depend on y and we can write [itex]\phi(x, y, z)= xyz+ u(z)[/itex]. That is, we now know that u can only depend on z. Differentiating that with respect to z we get [itex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z}= xy+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/itex].

But we are told that [itex]\dfrac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}= xy+ 3z^2[/itex]. So we must have [itex]xy+ \frac{du}{dz}= xy+ 3z^2[/itex]. The "xy" terms now cancel leaving [itex]\frac{du}{dz}= 3z^2[/itex]. (I can now write "ordinary" derivatives because I know that u depends on z only.) That gives [itex]u(z)= z^3[/itex] so that [itex]\phi(x,y,z)= xyz+ u= xyz+ z^3[/itex].

If that "[itex]xy+ 3x^2[/itex]" were, in fact, correct, here is what would happen. We would repeat everything up to the last paragraph which would now be:
" But we are told that [itex]\dfrac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}= xy+ 3x^2[/itex]. So we must have [itex]xy+ \dfrac{du}{dz}= xy+ 3z^2[/itex]. The "xy" terms now cancel leaving [itex]\dfrac{du}{dz}= 3x^2[/itex]. That is impossible- if u is a function of z only, its derivative cannot be a function of x. There is no [itex]\phi(x,y,z)[/itex] having those partial derivatives.

Thank you, good sir. That makes sense and seems slightly more intuitive than the method we were taught. This is a great explanation and it should hopefully help me for my examination tomorrow =/

Related to Find the potential fucntion, phi

1. What is a potential function?

A potential function, also known as a scalar potential, is a mathematical function that describes the potential energy of a system at any given point in space. It is often used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of conservative forces, such as gravity or electromagnetism.

2. Why is finding the potential function important?

Finding the potential function allows us to understand the behavior of conservative forces and make predictions about their effects on a system. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to solve problems involving these forces.

3. How is the potential function related to the force field?

The potential function is the negative gradient of the force field. In other words, it is the rate at which the potential energy changes in a particular direction. This relationship is described by the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. What are the steps to finding the potential function?

The steps to finding the potential function depend on the type of force field. In general, you must first identify the conservative force and then integrate it with respect to the appropriate variables. If the force is a function of multiple variables, you may need to use partial derivatives. It is also important to consider any boundary conditions that may affect the potential function.

5. Can any force field have a potential function?

No, only conservative forces can have a potential function. This means that the force must be path-independent, meaning that the work done by the force is the same regardless of the path taken. Non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance, do not have potential functions.