Find the position of equlibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the position of a man (represented by x) in a system that is in balance. The equations for torque and forces are mentioned, but the individual is having trouble expressing x due to too many unknowns. Suggestions are given to look at the force equation for the lower pulley and pick a smart reference point for torque computation. The conversation ends with a clarification on which force should equal the tension on the right.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

From the diagram below find the position of the man (##x##) if the system is in balance. Total length is ##L## and the man is distance ##x## from one end.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I know that the system must be in balance if all the torque and all the forces equate to zero. That said i tried this:
The left tension force i name ##T_1## and the right ##T_2##. And i take the right point as reference point.
##\sum M=T*L-mg\frac{L}{2}-Mg(L-x)=0##
##\sum F=T+F-(m+M)g=0##
These equation i know but still cnat express ##x## as i have too many unknowns. Could i eliminate something here?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Look at the force equation for the lower pulley and pick a smart reference point for your torque computation.

Orodruin said:
Hint: Look at the force equation for the lower pulley and pick a smart reference point for your torque computation.
That force should equal the tension on the right, right? I picked a reference point to the right so it an be lost. Can you provide another hunt so i can see what you mean?

I think there is something wrong with your sum of forces equation.

doktorwho said:
That force should equal the tension on the right, right?
Which force? There are three forces acting on that pulley.

Related to Find the position of equlibrium

1. What is the definition of equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system where the forces acting on the system are equal and opposite, resulting in no net change.

2. How do you determine the position of equilibrium?

The position of equilibrium can be determined by analyzing the relative concentrations or pressures of reactants and products in a chemical reaction, or by examining the forces and energy in a physical system.

3. What factors can affect the position of equilibrium?

The position of equilibrium can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants and products, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors.

4. How can you shift the position of equilibrium?

The position of equilibrium can be shifted by changing the conditions of the system, such as increasing or decreasing temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants or products. This can be done by manipulating the reaction conditions or by using external factors such as a catalyst.

5. Why is the position of equilibrium important in chemical reactions?

The position of equilibrium allows us to predict the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. It also helps us to understand the conditions necessary for a reaction to occur and how to control the reaction to obtain the desired products.