How Can We Integrate 1/(u*sqrt(1-u^2))?

• Thread starter speeding electron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary: One way to approach this integral is to use a trigonometric substitution. Let u = sin x, then du = cos x dx. We can also rewrite the integral as: \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{1-u^2}} du = \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{1-u^2}} \frac{du}{dx} dx = \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{1-u^2}} \frac{du}{\cos x} dxUsing the trigonometric identity \sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 1, we can rewrite the denominator as \sqrt{1-u^2} = \sqrt{1-\sin
speeding electron
Int(cosec x)dx Let: u=cos x then: x=arcos u and: dx=-du/sqrt(1-u^2)

Int(cosec x)dx = -Int{1/sqrt(1-u^2)}^2}du = -Int {du/(1-u^2)}

= -(1/2)ln(1-u^2) + C

= -(1/2)ln(sin^[2]x) +C

= ln(cosec x) +C

Yet differentiating back gives -cot x.
Why does this substitution not work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
speeding electron said:
Int(cosec x)dx Let: u=cos x then: x=arcos u and: dx=du/sqrt(1-u^2)

Int(cosec x)dx = Int{1/sqrt(1-u^2)}^2}du = Int {du/(1-u^2)}

=(1/2)ln(1-u^2) + C

=(1/2)ln(sin^[2]x) +C

=ln(sin x) +C

Yet differentiating back gives cot x.

First:

[tex] csc x = \frac{1}{sin x} [/tex]

NOT cos x. So your substitution is wrong to begin with. If you correct that the integration should go like this:

[tex] u = sin x dx [/tex]

[tex] du = cos x dx [/tex]

[tex] sec x du = dx [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du = dx [/tex]

So this makes the integral:

[tex] \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{1-u^2}} du [/tex]

See if you can take it from there.

My query was concerning the substitution u = cos x , rather than u = sin x .

I did make a mistake, arcos x = -1/sqrt(1-x^2). I've edited my original post.

Last edited:
speeding electron said:
My query was concerning the substitution u = cos x , rather than u = sin x .

I did make a mistake, arcos x = -1/sqrt(1-x^2). I've edited my original post.

That is the wrong substitution for integrating cosec(X).[tex] cosec(x) = \frac{1}{sin(x)}[/tex].

well your subsitution is didn't work because it is difficult to solve integration with assumption not being in the question

speeding electron said:
Int(cosec x)dx Let: u=cos x then: x=arcos u and: dx=-du/sqrt(1-u^2)

Int(cosec x)dx = -Int{1/sqrt(1-u^2)}^2}du = -Int {du/(1-u^2)}

= -(1/2)ln(1-u^2) + C

= -(1/2)ln(sin^[2]x) +C

= ln(cosec x) +C

Yet differentiating back gives -cot x.

Because you make an equality out of the following non-equality:
[tex]-\int\frac{du}{1-u^{2}}\neq\frac{-1}{2}ln(1-u^{2})+C[/tex]

Fine, yes, sorry about that, me being stupid again...but that integral was getting annoying.

Help please

franznietzsche said:
First:

[tex] csc x = \frac{1}{sin x} [/tex]

NOT cos x. So your substitution is wrong to begin with. If you correct that the integration should go like this:

[tex] u = sin x dx [/tex]

[tex] du = cos x dx [/tex]

[tex] sec x du = dx [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du = dx [/tex]

So this makes the integral:

See if you can take it from there.

I can't :(. I've spent most of this afternoon trying this question and some other one. I know I could just use the set result, but I want to understand it, and I don't see how to integrate that last result at all :(.

There is a special method to this.

[itex]\int \mathrm{cosec} x \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex]

If you multiply this by [itex]\frac {\mathrm{cosec} x - \cot x}{\mathrm{cosec} x - \cot x}[/itex] and simplify the numerator you will get an integral of...

[itex]\int \frac{\mathrm{cosec} ^2 x - \mathrm{cosec} x \cot x}{\mathrm{cosec} x - \cot x} \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex]

Substitute [itex]u = \mathrm{cosec} x - \cot x[/itex] and it should work out beautifully. Carry on from here and post back if you still need help. :smile:

Thanks, that worked out really well :). I was wondering though, how would one work it out from the form

? Could anyone help me see how to integrate it from this?

1. What is cosec and why is it important in integration?

Cosec, short for cosecant, is a trigonometric function that represents the reciprocal of the sine function. It is important in integration because it is used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions, especially when using substitution methods.

2. How do you integrate cosec?

The most common method for integrating cosec is through substitution. This involves substituting the cosec function with a new variable that will make the integral easier to solve. Another method is using trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral in a simpler form.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when integrating cosec?

One common mistake is forgetting to add the constant of integration when solving the integral. Another mistake is not properly substituting and simplifying the integral, leading to incorrect results. It is also important to be careful with trigonometric identities and to not mix up differentiating and integrating.

4. Can you explain the concept of integration by parts and how it relates to cosec?

Integration by parts is a method used to integrate the product of two functions. It involves choosing one function as the "u" term and the other as the "dv" term, and then using the product rule to solve the integral. This method can be used to integrate cosec by choosing cosec as the "u" term and the remaining function as the "dv" term.

5. Are there any real-world applications of integrating cosec?

Integrating cosec has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it is used to calculate the work done by a force when the displacement is not in the same direction as the force. It is also used in calculating the motion of a pendulum and the force exerted on a curved surface by a fluid.