Find the particular solution to Dy/Dx = 3x^2 + 1

It depends on what the notation actually is. If it is ##\frac{d}{dx}y = f(x)##, then the steps are different.
Creaturemagic
Find the particular solution to Dy/Dx = 3x^2 + 1 when y(0) = 3

I've looked everywhere for steps to solve this problem, and every website I have been to has taught me how to do a question like this when each side has a Y (is separable) but I can't find out how to do one like the question above.

I don't need it to be done for me, I just would love to know the steps I should take in solving it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting from: $$\frac{dy}{dx} = f(x)$$ ... multiply both sides by ##dx##: $$dy = f(x)dx$$ ... integrate both sides: $$\int dy = \int f(x)dx$$

Although - Dy/Dx may not mean dy/dx in this case.

Last edited:

Related to Find the particular solution to Dy/Dx = 3x^2 + 1

What is the equation for the given differential equation?

The equation for the given differential equation is y = x^3 + x + C, where C is a constant.

What is the method for finding the particular solution to this differential equation?

The method for finding the particular solution is by using the method of separation of variables and then solving for the constant C.

Can this differential equation be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

This differential equation can be solved analytically by integrating both sides of the equation and then solving for y.

Is the particular solution unique for this differential equation?

Yes, the particular solution is unique for this differential equation as it is determined by the initial conditions given.

Can this differential equation be solved for any value of x?

Yes, this differential equation can be solved for any value of x as long as the initial conditions are known or given.