Find the number of positive integer values

In summary, the problem asks for the number of positive integer values of n that satisfy the equation $2x^2+689x+n=0$, where n is the subject of the equation and the only integer solution for x is given by $x=k$, with $k\in\mathbb{Z}$. By setting n equal to $-2k^2-689k$, we can see that the given equation has only one integer root, therefore $x=k$ must be true. By setting $n>0$, we can consider two cases: when $k<0$ and when $k>0$. In both cases, the number of positive integer values for n is 344. This is because $k
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

This problem drives me crazy because first, I have not encountered a problem like this before (but this is only an excuse and it must be my incompetence that holds me back from cracking it successfully) and I called off the attempt because I don't think I can solve it.

Problem:

For how many positive integer values of n does the equation $2x^2+689x+n=0$ have an integer solution?

Attempt:

roots$=\dfrac{-689 \pm \sqrt{689^2-8n}}{4}=\dfrac{-689 \pm k}{4}$ where $k=\sqrt{689^2-8n}$ hence

roots$=-172.25+0.25k, -172.25-0.25k$

roots$=-172.25+m-0.25, -172.25-(m-0.25)$ where $m-0.25=0.25k$

roots$=-172.5+m, -172-m$

In order for the original given quadratic equation to have only one integer solution, we see that $m$ must be an integer.

If we work on the product of the roots, we see that

$(-172.5+m)(-172-m)=\dfrac{n}{2}$

which simplifies to

$59340+m-2m^2=n$

Okay, if I let $m=150$ I then get $n=14490$ but I don't believe I have to try out all the possible values of $m$ for this problem.

And I don't know what else I can do to determine the number of positive integers $n$ that the problem asks right from where I stopped.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: Try using:

\(\displaystyle n=-2k^2-689k\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\).

Can you show then that one of the roots must be $x=k$?

And then solve \(\displaystyle n>0\) to see how many integers you get.

MarkFL said:
Hint: Try using:

\(\displaystyle n=-2k^2-689k\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\).

Can you show then that one of the roots must be $x=k$?

And then solve \(\displaystyle n>0\) to see how many integers you get.

Hi MarkFL,

Thanks for helping me out again!

Now everything makes perfect sense to me...the problem told us $n$ is positive integer, and we could rewrite the given quadratic equation to make $n$ the subject and then set its equivalent greater than zero...

So from

\(\displaystyle n=-2k^2-689k\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\),

we have

\(\displaystyle n=k(-2k-689)\)

and since the quadratic equation has only one integer root, then $x=k$ must be right and now, if we set $n>0$, we need to consider for two cases. First case deals with the case where $k<0$ and second be the case where $k>0$.

If $k<0$, in order for $n>0$, we see that we must set $-2k-689<0$ or $k>-344.5$.

The number of positive $n$ values that we can get here is hence 344.

The second case gives us zero solution. Therefore, the total number of positive integer values of $n$ such that the equation $2x^2+689x+n=0$ have an integer solution is 344.

Thank you Mark for your help!

Last edited:
Yes, I get the same number of values. I found with the value for $n$ I suggested, we get:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=(x-k)\left(2(x+k)+689 \right)=0\)

The first factor gives us the integral root:

\(\displaystyle x=k\)

While the second root is:

\(\displaystyle x=-\left(k+\frac{689}{2} \right)\)

which cannot be an integer for any value of $k$.

In order for $n$ to be a positive integer, we require:

\(\displaystyle 2k^2+689k<0\)

\(\displaystyle k(2k+689)<0\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle -344\le k\le-1\)

And, as you found, there are 344 values $n$ may have to satisfies the given requirements.

solution by MARKFL and anemone both good

here is another

let (2x+ a)(x+b) = 2x^2+689x+n

as n is +ve both a and b positive or -ve,

a is odd else 2 integer solutionsor 2x^2 + (a + 2b) = 2x^2+689x+n

a and b cannot - ve as sum is positive

0 < 2b < 689 and hence 0 < b < 344.5

so there are 344 values of b and also n

Related to Find the number of positive integer values

What is the definition of positive integer values?

Positive integer values are whole numbers that are greater than zero, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. They do not include fractions, decimals, or negative numbers.

What is the range of positive integer values?

The range of positive integer values is infinite, as there is no upper limit to the possible values. However, in a given context or problem, there may be a specific range specified.

What is the easiest way to find the number of positive integer values in a given set?

The easiest way to find the number of positive integer values in a given set is to count them manually by starting from 1 and incrementing by 1 until you reach the largest positive integer in the set. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or a computer program to automate the counting process.

How can I determine if a given number is a positive integer value?

To determine if a number is a positive integer value, you can check if it is a whole number (no decimal or fraction) and if it is greater than zero. If both conditions are met, then the number is a positive integer value.

What is the significance of finding the number of positive integer values in a set?

The number of positive integer values in a set can be useful in many mathematical and scientific contexts. It can help in analyzing data, making predictions, and solving problems. It is also important in understanding the properties and patterns of numbers.