Find the net torque about an axis through O

In summary, the net torque about an axis through O is equal to F*r*sin(angle), where F is the force, r is the perpendicular distance of the force vector from the axis of rotation, and angle is the angle between the force vector and the axis of rotation. However, if the force is applied at O and the axis of rotation is also at O, then there is no net torque because the radius (r) is zero. It is important to keep in mind that torque is defined as the cross product of the vector r and the vector F. This may be a tricky concept to understand, so it is recommended to write both the force and the vector r in vector form for beginners. It is also important to not strain your
jesuslovesu
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
if the force is going through O, and you set the axis of rotation at O, then there is no net torque. (the radius is zero)

r*sin(angle) is the perpendicular distance of the force vector from the axis of rotation.

Please provide me a magnifying lens, my specs don't help me much!
Anyway, for beginners write the force in vector form as well as the vector r which is the vector joining the point with respect to which torque is measured to the point at which force is applied. Here the torque is defined as the croos product of vector r to vector f

beware! don't give pressur to your eyes. r is zero here. you can't see it.

andrewchang said:
if the force is going through O, and you set the axis of rotation at O, then there is no net torque. (the radius is zero)
Yeah, from the diagram given, it looks as though the force is applied at O, so there is no net torque.

trick question, i guess? if i were taking a test and i saw that, i wouldn't be too happy. =P

Related to Find the net torque about an axis through O

1. What is net torque?

Net torque is the overall measure of the rotational force acting on an object. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of all individual torques acting on the object.

2. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of each individual torque by its distance from the axis of rotation and then summing all of these values together.

3. What is an axis through O?

An axis through O refers to the point at which the object is rotating. It is often referred to as the axis of rotation or the point of rotation.

4. Why is finding net torque important?

Finding net torque is important because it allows us to understand the rotational forces acting on an object and determine its overall rotational motion. It is also necessary for solving problems involving rotational equilibrium.

5. How can we find the net torque about an axis through O?

To find the net torque about an axis through O, we need to identify all individual torques acting on the object and their distances from the axis. Then, we can use the formula net torque = Στ = ∑F x r to calculate the overall net torque.