Find the net average power of a magnetic system

In summary, the task at hand is to find the net average power at the output of the battery in a circuit with a moving magnet and a time-varying inductor. The equation for X (position of the magnet) and L (inductance of the inductor) is given, but the specifics of the circuit are not provided. Two cases are considered, one with switch 1 and 4 closed and 2 and 3 open, and the other with switch 2 and 3 closed and 1 and 4 open. The equation for current is derived, and it is mentioned that Simulink is used to model the circuit. However, finding a solution for both positive and negative power cases is proving difficult.
aiq25

Homework Statement

We are given a circuit with a inductor that has a magnetic core and a magnet that is moving away from the inductor and to the inductor. We can control the flow of current through the inductor using 4 switches. We have to find the net average power at the output of the battery for two cases, one where it's positive and the other when it's negative. Below is how the system looks like:

upload_2014-10-16_15-34-47.png

Sorry I couldn't do draw it any better in Paint. :(

Homework Equations

We are given the equation for X (position of the magnet) and L (the inductance of the inductor):
X = xmax*sin(wt)
L = L0 - L1*sin([pi/2]*[X/xmax])
Where L1 = 0.5*L0

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to get the current in order to get the power. I defined two cases for this problem. Case 1 is where switch 1 and 4 are closed and 2 and 3 are open, Case 2 is when switch 2 and 3 are closed and 1 and 4 are open. For case 1 we should get the current going through the inductor in a positive direction and case two in the negative direction.

upload_2014-10-16_15-38-24.png

Using VL = L*(di/dt) + i*(dL/dt) where dL/dt = (dL/dx)*(dx/dt) I get the following equation:
di/dt = (VDC - i*R - i*(dL/dt))/L

By taking the integral of di/dt we can get i.

We can use Simulink, so I used that to model the circuit. But I'm having trouble getting a negative and positive power. Unfortunately I don't have Simulink on computer I'm using right now so I can't upload my simulation results but can anyone help me with what the values of L0 and the frequency should be? It seems like when I choose a good L0 and freq value for the positive power I don't get a good signal for the negative power case and vise-versa.

Physics news on Phys.org
For openers I assume you realize that the power is the same for both cases (S1/S4 on and S2/S3 on).

But, this is a complicated situation. Not only do you have a time-varying inductance by virtue of the modulation of the gap sizes between the "core" and the magnet, but the magnet also induces a time-varying emf into the coil. I believe a general solution is hard if not impossible, especially since you're not given any particulars like geometry, frequency of movig magnet, etc.

Related to Find the net average power of a magnetic system

1. What is the definition of "net average power" in a magnetic system?

The net average power in a magnetic system refers to the amount of energy transferred per unit time. It takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the power flow.

2. How is the net average power calculated in a magnetic system?

The net average power can be calculated by multiplying the root mean square (RMS) current and the RMS voltage in the system. It can also be calculated by integrating the instantaneous power over time.

3. What factors affect the net average power in a magnetic system?

The net average power in a magnetic system can be affected by various factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the circuit.

4. Why is it important to find the net average power in a magnetic system?

Calculating the net average power in a magnetic system is important because it helps us understand the energy transfer and efficiency of the system. It also allows us to determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load.

5. How can the net average power in a magnetic system be optimized?

The net average power in a magnetic system can be optimized by increasing the magnetic field strength, increasing the number of turns in the coil, and reducing the resistance in the circuit. Additionally, using materials with higher permeability can also improve the power output of the system.