Find the molecular and empiral formula

In summary, Digiton is a substance used by technologists to determine cholesterol levels. Its percent composition by mass is 54.71% C, 7.54% H, and 37.74% O. The experimentally determined molecular mass is 1229g/mol. To find the empirical formula, the percent composition is converted to moles, and then the smallest number is divided out to get the simplest ratio of atoms. In this case, the empirical formula is C2H3O, and to find the molecular formula, the molecular mass is divided by the empirical formula mass to get a whole number.
tommyjohn

Homework Statement

Digiton is a substance that technologists use to determine cholesterol levels. It contains only (C,H, and O) and its percent composition is 54.71% C, 7.54% H, and 37.74% O by mass. The experimentally determined molecular mass is 1229g/mol. What is the empirical amd molecular 1 formula for digiton?

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so C=12g, H=1g and O=16g

First,
54.71/12= 4.56 mol
7.54/1= 7.54 mol
37.74/16= 2.36 mol

Secondly, I got to divide by the smallest number which in this case is 2.36
4.56/2.36= 1.9~2
7.54/2.36= 3.2
2.36/2.36=1
since 3.2 is to far away i multplied it by 5 to get a number that i can round. My end solution for the empirical formula was C10H15O5.

Now to get the molecular i found the grams in the empirical which was 215g. Now 1229/215=5.7 which i THINK i have to get a whole number and it took me x3 to get 17.1 which can be rounded to 17. So I am stuck on to what to do in finding the molecular formula if everything above this is right which I am fairly confident it is.. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to attempt solving for the molecular formula first--you're given all the information necessary to calculate moles of each element per mole of compound.

Then divide by the greatest common factor to get the empirical formula.

tommyjohn said:
My end solution for the empirical formula was C10H15O5.

Empirical formula should contain lowest possible numbers. 5, 10 and 15 are all multiplies of the same smaller number.

--

Related to Find the molecular and empiral formula

What is the difference between molecular and empirical formula?

The molecular formula represents the exact number and type of atoms in a molecule, while the empirical formula represents the simplest whole number ratio of atoms in a molecule.

How do you calculate the empirical formula?

To calculate the empirical formula, you need to know the mass of each element present in the compound. Then, you can divide the mass of each element by its atomic mass and convert it to the simplest whole number ratio.

What information is needed to determine the molecular formula?

The molecular mass or molar mass of the compound, as well as the empirical formula, are needed to determine the molecular formula.

Can a compound have the same molecular and empirical formula?

Yes, a compound can have the same molecular and empirical formula if the compound's molecular formula is already in its simplest form.

How can the molecular formula be determined from the empirical formula?

The molecular formula can be determined by comparing the empirical formula's mass to the mass of the compound. If the mass of the compound is a multiple of the empirical formula's mass, then the molecular formula is a multiple of the empirical formula.