Find the missing digits in the calculation below

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary: I think this lemma can be generalized as"k divides a number n if and only if it divides the sum of digits of n in base k+1".BTW problem says "working with modulo 9 OR modulo 11", it doesn't say "AND" modulo 11.So why was modulo 11 added to the problem?I don't know. Someone provide a proof of the lemma given.
Math100
Homework Statement
Working modulo ## 9 ## or ## 11 ##, find the missing digits in the calculation below:
## 2\chi 99561=[3(523+\chi)]^{2} ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Observe that ## 2\chi 99561=[3(523+\chi)]^{2}=9(523+\chi)^{2} ##.
This means ## 9\mid [9(523+\chi)^{2}]\implies 9\mid 2\chi 99561 ##.
Thus ## 9\mid (2+\chi+9+9+5+6+1)\implies 9\mid (32+\chi) ##.
Therefore, ## \chi=4 ##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Working modulo ## 9 ## or ## 11 ##, find the missing digits in the calculation below:
## 2\chi 99561=[3(523+\chi)]^{2} ##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Observe that ## 2\chi 99561=[3(523+\chi)]^{2}=9(523+\chi)^{2} ##.
This means ## 9\mid [9(523+\chi)^{2}]\implies 9\mid 2\chi 99561 ##.
Thus ## 9\mid (2+\chi+9+9+5+6+1)\implies 9\mid (32+\chi) ##.
Therefore, ## \chi=4 ##.
I don't understand what "Working modulo 9 or 11 ... " means in the context of this problem. Is the above the exact statement of the problem? Could you have mistakenly mixed in part of one problem with another?

The work you did seems to assume a problem statement of "If ##2\chi 99561## is divisible by 9, find the missing digit from the equation ####2\chi 99561 = [3(523 + \chi)]^2##.

How does 11 figure into this problem?

Mark44 said:
I don't understand what "Working modulo 9 or 11 ... " means in the context of this problem. Is the above the exact statement of the problem? Could you have mistakenly mixed in part of one problem with another?

The work you did seems to assume a problem statement of "If ##2\chi 99561## is divisible by 9, find the missing digit from the equation ##2\chi 99561 = [3(523 + \chi)]^2##.

Seems it would have been better for OP to start out with the observation that
##(3(523+\chi))^{2}=9(523+\chi)^2## , thus ##9## divides ##(3(523+\chi))^{2}## .

Therefore, ...

Mark44 said:

The work you did seems to assume a problem statement of "If ##2\chi 99561## is divisible by 9, find the missing digit from the equation ####2\chi 99561 = [3(523 + \chi)]^2##.

There's no mistake in the problem statement. And do I also have to include/show the modulo ## 11 ## part? I thought with only working modulo ## 9 ##, it is sufficient since the solution/missing digit is ## 4 ##, which I've found. Do I still have to work modulo ## 11 ##?

Math100 said:
There's no mistake in the problem statement. And do I also have to include/show the modulo ## 11 ## part? I thought with only working modulo ## 9 ##, it is sufficient since the solution/missing digit is ## 4 ##, which I've found. Do I still have to work modulo ## 11 ##?
I think you're right. The way I read the problem, it seems to be giving you the option.

Likes Delta2 and Math100
Math100 said:
I would think so, since the problem author mentioned it. But like I said, I don't quite get what the author wants you to do with the modulo 11 part.

Likes Math100
Mark44 said:
I would think so, since the problem author mentioned it. But like I said, I don't quite get what the author wants you to do with the modulo 11 part.
Me neither. I don't get it either.

Likes Delta2
Someone give me a proof of the lemma :
"9 divides a number if and only if divides the sum of its digits in base 10" cause I can't prove it lol.

Oh wait something clicked, do we use binomial expansion and the fact that ##10^n=(9+1)^n##?

I think this lemma can be generalized as
"k divides a number n if and only if it divides the sum of digits of n in base k+1".

Last edited:
BTW problem says "working with modulo 9 OR modulo 11", it doesn't say "AND" modulo 11.

Likes Math100
Delta2 said:
"9 divides a number if and only if divides the sum of its digits in base 10" cause I can't prove it lol.
Here's an explanation that could be extended to a proof by induction.
Let ##N = a_0*10^2 + a_1*10^1 + a_2##, where ##a_0 + a_1 + a_2 = 9k## for some integer k.
##N = a_010^2 + a_1*10^1 + a_2 = 10[a_0 * 10 + a_1] + a_2 = 9[a_0 * 10 + a_1] + [a_0 * 10 + a_1] + a_2##
##= 9[a_0 * 10 + a_1] + 9 * a_0 + a_0 + a_1 + a_2##
##= 9[a_0 * 10 + a_1] + 9 * a_0 + 9k = 9[a_0 * 10 + a_1 + a_0 + k]##
Therefore, N is divisible by 9 provided that the decimal digits of N add up to 9 or a multiple thereof.

Delta2 said:
BTW problem says "working with modulo 9 OR modulo 11", it doesn't say "AND" modulo 11.
So why was modulo 11 added to the problem? Could the problem be worked if it said only "working with modulo 11"? I've spent a fair amount of time on this problem, but don't see any way that modulo 11 plays any part.

Likes Delta2
There is another lemma for modulo 11:
"11 divides a number if and only if it divides the alternating sum/difference of its digits in base 10"
By alternating I mean the sum $$\sum (-1)^n a_n$$ where ##a_n## the digits of the number (n=0 the units digit).

Last edited:
NVM now I see that that number is not divisible by 11?:)

Delta2 said:
There is another lemma for modulo 11:
"11 divides a number if and only if it divides the alternating sum/difference of its digits in base 10"
Yes, I know this rule. I don't think it has much to do with modulo 11, but rather can be used to determine whether a decimal (i.e., base-10) number is divisible by 11.
If ##2\chi99561## is divisible by 11, it must be the case that ##\chi = 2##. If so, the number on the right side is ##9 \cdot 525 = 3^2 \cdot 5^4##, which is not divisible by 11. This is something I checked earlier.

Relative to modulo 9 and modulo 11, I also checked whether the numbers were written in base-9 (no, since ##2\chi99561## is not a base-9 number) or base-11, neither of which yielded any enlightenment.

Likes Delta2
SammyS said:
Seems it would have been better for OP to start out with the observation that
##(3(523+\chi))^{2}=9(523+\chi)^2## , thus ##9## divides ##(3(523+\chi))^{2}## .

Therefore, ...
So, do we need to do this by explicitly working modulo 9 ? - or is is it enough to say that the above shows that the right hand side of the given equation is divisible by 9, therefore, the left hand side must also be divisible by 9, which allows us to use the divisibility test for division by 9 on LHS ?
( For a whole number written as a decimal, the test OP is using for divisibility by 9 is based on equivalence modulo 9 . )

As for the instruction: "Working modulo ##9## or ##11##" :
It would not be unusual to have a single instruction for a whole set of exercises.

1. What is the purpose of finding the missing digits in a calculation?

The purpose of finding the missing digits in a calculation is to complete the calculation and obtain the correct result. This is important in order to ensure accuracy and precision in scientific experiments and calculations.

2. How do you approach finding the missing digits in a calculation?

The approach to finding the missing digits in a calculation may vary depending on the specific calculation and the available information. Generally, it involves using mathematical principles and equations to solve for the missing digits.

3. What are some common techniques used to find missing digits in a calculation?

Some common techniques used to find missing digits in a calculation include algebraic manipulation, substitution, and estimation. Other techniques may involve using known values, patterns, or mathematical properties.

4. Can finding the missing digits in a calculation be done by trial and error?

In some cases, trial and error may be used to find the missing digits in a calculation. However, this method is not always efficient and may not always lead to the correct solution. It is important to use mathematical principles and techniques to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with finding missing digits in a calculation?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist with finding missing digits in a calculation. These may include calculators, spreadsheet programs, or specialized software designed for specific types of calculations.